Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Reel Suggestions?

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Anyone have any suggestions for a good all around (spinning) ice reel? Looking for something to pair with my new Jason Mitchell walleye rod I won at the dock tourney;D! I'm also looking to upgrade the rest of my arsenal, If I like the Jason Mitchell as much as i think I will I will be buying more of them, but just have to pair them with something. Any suggestions.

Nwohioiceman123

• View Profile
I have a shimano sahara on my jason mitchell perch rod and absolutely love. i have it in the smallest size so maybe you could go up in size, but  it my favorite ice reel i own. plus in the summer time you can use it on an ultralite.

jmsteele187

• View Profile
The pflueger president reel is a great option, for hard or open water, as well.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I agree I got pfluger on mine.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
For the money pflueguer president
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I have Daiwa on mine. They're a little expensive, but I've never had a drag stick on one before. For panfish I use the micro Shimano as well.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Slab those are both good and I like them but didn't want to overwhelm him with pricing.  I like the Diawa over the shimano. 
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Slab those are both good and I like them but didn't want to overwhelm him with pricing.  I like the Diawa over the shimano. 

I prefer the daiwa also, smoother and lighter than the others. IMO.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile

I dont mind paying a little extra for quality, can you guys give me specific models to look up? has anyone tried the stragihline reels? (the ones that look like fly reels) Was thinking of gettign some of those for my panfish rods and pfluegers or diawas for my eye rods.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Daiwa I like is the Procyon PRCY2000SH. They're a little expensive at $150. As for the fly style reels, they're great for panfish.

Team Wilcraft!

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
If you are going fly reels ice tech or black Betty.  However IMHO I am going back to mostly spinner rods this year for multiple reasons.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
If you are going fly reels ice tech or black Betty.  However IMHO I am going back to mostly spinner rods this year for multiple reasons.

Care to elaborate? Hate to spend money on something to have it not owrk or not like it. Figured the fly type for my panfish rods and spinning for eye rods

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I have the black Betty, and like it quite a bit for panfish.  It's perfect for fishing jigs with meat or plastics.  It's definitely a shallow water kind of reel though.  If you plan on fishing deeper water, go with a black Betty 6061, frabill 261 straight line or I've also heard good things about the new straight line reel from eagle claw.  All of these reels have a higher take up rate and a free spool mode to get down quick.

wetline1

• View Profile
I agree with all who have spoken out for the Pfleuger president. I purchased one over the summer at Fin Feather and Fur. The sales staff is very helpful and knowledgeable. For the money, it's a quality reel for both larger saugeye and panfish.

Vexilar