Ice Fish Ohio Forum

new to the area, first winter here.

doug1370

• View Profile
ok, so I am new to the area and need some info on the best places to get gear for ice fishing and any other info i might need!! any help would be greatly appreciated!!! i am looking forward to ice fishing for the first time in 5 years!!! i am wanting to know the types of fish, some good areas without giving up personal spots, and stores in the toledo area for gear. I am originally from colorado but lived in Phoenix for the last few years and I am ready to get back to my beloved fishing!!!! was wondering to .....what beer seems to work better for catching fish in ohio!?? lol!!! also im used to fishing for trout and some bass, so any info on walleye would be great too!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 06:08:25 PM by doug1370 »

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Well fellow ice man your in luck because just to the north of you lies the walleye capital of the world. And if this winter is anything like the last 2 you will forget all about phoenix. Once that first 12 pounder dances beneath your feet you will be hooked. Feel free to to surf around the discussion boards and check out all the pictures of seasons gone by. Also you can find locals from your area, good luck
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome!   Glad you found the site. I'm not that familiar with the torso area, but if you have the time to seeing a visit to marks in ravens, you'll find he has the biggest supply of ice fishing gear you'll ever see in a store. Well worth the 2 hour drive.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
first ,  you may consider some warm gear , it gets COLD many days out on the ice at 5 deg s   ......and you are close to some of the best fishing .....welcome....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

doug1370

• View Profile
thank you for the welcome and info! i am looking forward to seeing some of you on the ice!!!! ;D

LeeinOH

• Niles McKinley #794
    • View Profile
Welcome to IFO Doug.  If you're living in Toledo, there are only two words... LAKE ERIE!!!!!  Stock up on Swedish Pimples and other jigging spoons, get a shanty, a fishfinder, a cheap snowmobile and a few medium ice rod combos, and you're set!!!! :) :) :) :)

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Once the ice is safe, just GET OUTSIDE... Start Walkin & Talkin... The ice guys are alot more friendly than the soft water gang.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

LeeinOH

• Niles McKinley #794
    • View Profile
Speaking of talking, I'd like to meet you up at Mosquito one day John.  I know you fish there often as do I.  I fish out of Imagination Station mostly, and up on the causeway late in the season.

Peppers came out great!!!! Eating our first jar now. Have second batch brining currently. :) :) :)

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I can't wait for ice!  Going to be building my smitty sled this week or next. Going for a light weight aluminum frame. Similar to snowcone's setup, only I'm building from scratch with some leftover 1/4 and 3/8 angle. I'll post when I'm done.

Also wanting to hit mosquito. Need a few practice days before the north vs south challenge.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar