Ice Fish Ohio Forum

A change of focus

jmsteele187

• View Profile
So... I've decided to change my focus to the open water season. I still have all my ice gear in easy access just in case, but have already started to get geared up for the spring. I'm not really looking forward to respooling all my rods. All the lines that I've come to love, aren't very cheap.

With taxes coming in soon, I've been giving serious thought at getting a kayak to get me off of the shore. A real fishing boat isn't in the cards at this time, but a yak may be an economical substitute. Does anyone on here kayak fish during open water?

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I havent done any kayak fishing but I am looking at getting one after I pay my wifes van off I found one at Rural King that's made for fishing running about 220 I do have an aluminum boat also but I am waiting for my kids to get little older to take it out.

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile
I fish from my yak, haven't done it much since I got it this past fall for water fowling, but it's fun.  If your looking at fishing, consider a wilderness systems yak

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I did look at some of the wilderness systems yaks, but I think I'm gonna get a perception search 13. The local kayak shop near me say they will give me a deal on one of last years models. I'll have to add a rod holder up front, but that shouldn't be a big deal. I still have to talk the old lady into letting me buy one though. Which I haven't quite figured that one out yet.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
It can be fun. A kayak is something that is kinda "for a special someone"
Just like anything else, some love it, some hate it...

Check TSC believe it or not, they have great yaks for alike a hundred bucks!!!!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I checked TSC web page and they don't offer any online wonder if it's certain stores that offer them or if they are special order.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I fish saltwater from a kayak.  Look at the ocean kayak.  They're the best and have fishing models for freshwater as well.  They come with a cooler, livewell, rodholders, and a padded seat.  What more can you ask for!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

wis2ohio

• View Profile
Man those are nice but way out of my price range but like the old saying goes you get what you pay for.

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I've defenatly looked at the ocean kayak stuff. But, a little out of my price range right now. The perception kayaks are good boats too, and the guy is going to give me a good deal on one. The fact that it's a little lower in price, and still U.S.A made is a big plus too.

I think for the first few times out, I'll probably stay on flat water. Maybe Findlay and wauseon res'. I might try to get out to Norwalk or portage lakes.

wis2ohio

• View Profile
jmsteele187 this is the one I found at RKO http://www.ruralking.com/water-quest-10-kayak-sit-in-w-pad.html looks to be a great deal most other places offer this for well over $300 and it looks to be a great starter kayak.

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Jumpy on here, (Jeff Jump) who has a link to his buckeye charters on the lake erie report forum does this. You may want to drop him a PM
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I'm looking at a sit on top style yak. It's quite a bit more than that one, but I think it will be worth it. You get what you pay for, you know.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
As for the asking the wife about one, do what I did with my bass boat.  Just put it in the garage, and hope she doesn't notice.  Haha.  That was a long afternoon, but worth it in the end.  Now she comes and fishes with me and even wants to do a tournament or 2 together this year.  Who knows, maybe your wife would enjoy it too.  :)
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

jmsteele187

• View Profile
You know Slab, I did think about doing that. It does always seem to be easier to ask forgiveness than permission. I hope that my wife will want to get into it. We also have a 4 year old, that loves to fish with daddy. So next year we might have to get a canoe or something.

Vexilar