Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Anyone still use one of these for ice fishing?

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Anyone still use one of these for icefishing?
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
nope, I gave up carrying one of those for all digital lights, and a buddy heater.. no more smell , no more broken mantels. technology improves .  ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I have one. Use it to charge fluorescent plastics and heads. Hands free and warm.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I do have one, but after it got bumped and burned a hole in my shanty I don't use it on the ice anymore.  I bought a patch kit and a Buddy heater that same night.  That said, I love my Coleman lantern for shore fishing at night for crappie or catfish, a good light and heat source! ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

OldSailor

• View Profile
Another ice fishing site has a thread on Coleman mantels and someone has said that soaking them in white vinegar first helps toughen them! But with LED's and rechargeable lanterns available nowadays, it's much safer to use than a Coleman! Heck, when I was a kid, we used kerosene lamps and heaters! I used to have to head for the basement to change out of my ice fishing clothes as soon as I got home!! ::)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
amusing story about 20 yrs ago my best friend and I were ice fishing , using a coleman for heat and light we decided too cut off the ends of a pop can flatten it punch a hole in the middle stick it on top of the lantern and proceed to cook up some of the gills we were catching on our cool cooker.... ;D     had fresh fish that day......yummy   8)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

toadfish

• View Profile
I use a Coleman Northstar tube type lantern for both heat and light.  Makes the one-man flip style shanty pretty comfortable unless it is really cold/windy.  Just watch getting your line too close!  I thought about a different type of heat, but space is limited and the lantern provides heat and light.  I get about 5 or 6 hours out of a tank of fuel.  I carry extra mantles and extra fuel if I am going to be out all day.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Vexilar