Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Battery question

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I have two SLA batteries for my "lil green box" flasher and camera.  They both still have a good charge from last year.  Is it okay to put them on the charger and top them off, or should I run them both dead first?  I'm just not sure if these types of batteries have the same memory issues that a lot of rechargable batteries do.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
you should top them off.  Every 3 months or so I put mine on the charger for a maintenance charge.  I've never had a problem with a battery on my camera or Vex doing this.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I was actually just looking for the answer online.  I found that draining the battery would be a bad idea and could cause damage to the bettery.  Apparently, SLA batteries don't have the issue of developing memory the way many rechargables do.  Like you said periodic maintanence charges are the way to go.  Now I gotta go put my batteries on the charger.

Vexilar