Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Sat. 1/24 at Buckeye

CFosterI

• View Profile
Me and a few friends are thinking of coming down to Buckeye this Sat A.M. We have never been there before. From what I understand we should start a Fairfield beach and walk past the island. We will have to travel about 1.5 hours to get there and we are concerned about the ice quality.
Any information on the ice would be greatly appreciated. If it's sketchy we will fish closer to home.

Thanks Guys.

fool4fish

• View Profile
given the reports it should be fine this weekend ur correct from the tip of fairfield u wanna walk north around the island with the house and thats the main area we fish its kinda a choke down area once ur around the island u can see the north shoreline and theres actually another finger island thats connected to what they call cranberry island/bog those two islands create the field most people fish and there also harbor hills it will be due east one you get past the island with the house theres usually an easy 40 + groups on weekend easy to follow a pack pm me if u have any other questions ill do all i can to help
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

CFosterI

• View Profile
Thanks fool4fish. I appreciate the information, 4 Of us will be arriving about 1:30 and staying till after dark. We fished a quarry today close to Galion and caught 35 keeper gills 4 big (11-13") crappie 5 bass and one BIG ugly channel!

fool4fish

• View Profile
Nice job man winds are supposed to pick up 12 noon to 5 pm then die back down but I should be out if the winds pick up like forecast I should def have a green wind block half tent deal up and I'm have black carhartt and safety neon green tabogin  i won't be down by harbor hills heard there sum sketchy 2-3 in spots by papa boos stop over n say hey if ur free

CFosterI

• View Profile
Well we made it out. Arrived about 2 PM, fished till 6 PM. Ice was 6" where we drilled. Was 200 yards out past the island with the 2 houses a little to the left as you looked at the marsh. There was 4 of us fishing. I caught 13 saugeye (1 keeper) lost a few more at the hole missed a half dozen bites. Next best was 7 dink saugeye, 3rd was 2 dink saugeye and last was 2 catfish. Was fun. That was the first time at Buckey and the first time fishing for saugeye. If the ice holds up I'll be back.

fool4fish

• View Profile
I saw ur group down there foster glad you guys got sum action down there I was lone ranger down at the east end the island with house

rickiecatman

• View Profile
I was there Saturday too. Fished with two other guys from around the area who we meet in the parking lot of fairfield beach. We followed them out by the island in 6ft of water and I caught one keeper broke my line on another and missed plenty more caught a few shorts. Me and two of my buddies left lake Erie and decided to stop by Buckeye I'm glad we did. First time there and I plan on coming back. I caught the only keeper under a float about 4inches off bottom on a 3in shiner. My buddies caught short saugeye and one crappie and a channel. Thanks to the two guys for the pointers and the hospitality. You don't meet to many people like that anymore . I really appreciate it

g

• View Profile
Good job Rickie. Did you get to fish Erie and do any good? I do like fishing Buckeye, just wish it wasn't 1 1/2 hrs. away.

FishFever103

• View Profile
Hey rickiecatman, that was me and my buddy Steve. You guys were from Cincinnati area right? I ended up caching 8 shorties. Steve was hot on the catfish. We left about an hour after you did. Going to try and get back out there this week.

rickiecatman

• View Profile
G. I caught one white perch at lake Erie Friday. Then Saturday we woke up to a south wind a crack opened up so we decided to head back. On the way back we decided to stop at a lake we never fished before . ( Buckeye). I also wish it was closer I live over 2 hours south of Buckeye  Thanks fishfever and Steve for helping us out and letting us tag along. Good luck on your all trip to Erie. We are heading back in two weeks to Erie.

Vexilar