Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ice thickness

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Just not ready yet fellas.  2" on a gravel pit pond (3" in one small section) and wet snow on top of the ice where the wind stacked it at the North end.
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My son & his buddy, Couldnt get on Nimisila Saturday near dark, (1/4)
OSP had a few guys on the ice
They went to Moggie after sunset and fished CLR (NW) corne. They were a few guys fishing the NW Cove... Dink City.

I'm going nuts waiting on the ice to thicken!

We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I hear ya and this snow isn't helping. One of my favorite spots didn't even freeze till yesterday!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Me too.  At least this snow is supposed to be heavy and maybe mixed with a little rain, this could be the best news. That will pack everything down and force water up on the ice and with over 50 straight hours below 0, we could make 2-4 inches of new ice overnight and be fishing a lot of places tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest!!!!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
I couldn't get on anywhere yesterday either. Really funky, unpredictable ice out there. The main lake at Nimi was a lot better (3-3.5" clear) than the cove ice that made it thru the last warm up. I'm sure it's because the main lake was open the other day. Deer Creek was the same way. Hopefully the sub zero temps along with the 30mph gusts were going to get will help and keep a lot of snow off. I will be at Nimi or DC wed. A few guys went thru at moggy, funky ice isn't worth it. If you go before tues or we'd be careful.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'm waiting. I was tempted to hit Mogadore yesterday, but if I go thru with this sternum injury I could need surgery.  I'm going to wait and hope by Tuesday it'll be ready.  Going to check tomorrow though ;D Usually I'll go on with 2" clear, but until I'm healthy again, I'll be waiting for a good 3 1/2-4".  One trip isn't worth surgery and months of missed fishing.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

joewallguy

• View Profile
My findings have been weird. Both lakes I checked on Friday were junk and not safe to even stand on.  ( Berea, Hinkley) Yestetday went down to a lake erie marina I get a dock at just for November and Decembers night bite, thinking I would just drill off the docks. Well to my surprise,  I was standing on it in some spots. Ice was up to 6" at spots. I beleive the wind kept it clean of snow and that is why. Could not go everywhere but after mon and tues, I plan to really explore down there. Fishing was super slow but I think I can figure it out. First time fishing inside there.  If we dont get good ice on our waters after this next week........Im going to be upset. Im off this week and plan on hitting the ice hard. Spending time with the wife today so she can work all week, and I can play all week:-)

Head biologist of metroparks is doing a icefishing basics on wallace lake today at 1:30 and 3:30. It is only 10 min from home so I think Im going to go help out. It would be a great chance to explain the importance of ice saftey and just how this kind of ice can be so  dangerous. I have all my gear loaded. Heard 2 guys were standing on it yesterday and after I would not go on it the day before, I know that ice is sketchy. Doing a proper ice check with rope, flotation, spud,ice pics and all,  could really do some good for new people without the proper respect for frozen water they are walking on. Also I know the guy has no electronics and thought my vex may be cool to show people n the kids. May help spark the intrest. Spread the sickness.

Hope to post some reports this week and I may even figure out how to post pics.  maybe meet some folks on here.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Gave North Reservoir a try this morning off the Handicap area. (SOLO).... Portage Lakes Drive next to the ODNR District 3 gate entrance.

Ice was layered, but 3" 20ft out from the shore., drilled another hole 20ft further out and it was only 2"... layered and cracking.... NOT SAFE 

Fished for 1/2 hr in 7ft FOW, no bites. 

Was very skeptical to venture further and decided to call it quits.

Will wait another day or so.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Yea guys its shaping up nicely to be another ice season let down, super cold beginning of  this week then a warm up with rain......uuuhhhgggg :'(
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That rain could be a blessing. If it's a really cold rain, coupled with below freezing temps in the mid-20's or lower at night, it could melt any snow and actually build ice thickness. I've seen that happen before, as long as the warm up isn't a week or 2 long.  I haven't seen a forecast beyond next Sunday.

Team Wilcraft!

trapperjon

• View Profile
I was on a small cove off of lansinger and had 5 3/4 today that's 3/4 more than yesterday, CLR cove was 3".walked ten feet away and the spud went thru with ease

64toby

• View Profile
Saturday i checked Shreve lake and it was like everybody said .3" down to less than 2'' and back to 3" in a ten foot area.Swimming in January didnt sound like a good idea,so i left.After this sub-zero stuff i will check again.

That ice scared me and i have a big enough set to tell everyone it did !!!!

Vexilar