Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Berkley recommends NanoFil for Ice Fishing

Banker · 11 · 13651

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Berkley recommends NanoFil for for light to medium action spinning tackle. It comes in eight pound-test sizes for uses ranging from ultra light and ice fishing with the 1- and 2-pound test...I'll tell you what, I was in my local bait shop about to purchase some 2 lb test Trilene when the sales guy pointed to the new line that just came in. It 6 lb test and cost way more, I was totally not interested as it was braid and I fish for panfish through the ice and A don't need braid and B need something invisible. Then he pointed out something that changed my mind on the whole thing. The diameter of the 6lb microbraid was smaller than the diameter of the 2lb mono I had planned to buy...got me scratching my head, then he said this new line doesn't go bad after one season like Mono and Flourocarbon does. Could last 6 years.....I stopped scratching my head and reached for my wallet.

I will report on how this line works with ice fishing. Visibility and freeze ups are what I am curious about. Once we get ice to test it out on I will let you all know. Pretty cool technology though- can land a much bigger fish on much smaller line than 2lb mono...so far I am intreged.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

turkeyneck003

• View Profile
I know a lot of guys dont like it but ive been using brad for a while now and dont have any problems with it......
Gaff its not just for chicken...

panfisher1402

• View Profile
I used NanoFil this year and I really liked it. I throw a lot off 1/16 & 1/8 lead heads for panfish. I can cast this stuff a country mile. I am going to try it on the ice this year. If it performs as well on the ice as it did on open water I will spool all my reels with it.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm still a skeptic.  I jumped to flourocarbon right away and love it.  The whole braid thing never really clicked with me.  Let me know how you guys like it.  If it works well for you guys, maybe I'll give it a try.  I just like the zero visibility of the floro.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Matthew Fiedler

• View Profile
i used power pro braided 10lb 1lb diameter this year for panfish with my 9ft rod an wow, that stuff is awesome for casting and catching.  next year going to try to add to more rods.  might have to find this stuff an try.

turkeyneck003

• View Profile
One bad thing about braid is you have to use a really good knot......The stuff is really slick and some knots just dont hold well......
Gaff its not just for chicken...

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
In my experience the braid seems to ice up much quicker than fluoro.  I bought this Vicious iceline and McCoy at Fin Feather and Fur and am going to try those out.  Spooled them up and they look and feel good but we need to give them the true test.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I used the Vicious line all last season and really liked. I had 0 problems with it and it had very low memory. I have never used the McCoy line but this season I have spooled several reels with and my preliminary test show that it is a very good line. It has a little stretch to it but not bad compared to a lot of other lines I have used. As soon as I pulled it off the spool it was straight and not coiled up. I also put it in the freezer and it did the same thing. I took several other brands and tried different Knots and it was held better then most. I wont be able to tell until there is a fish tugging on the other end but I have high hopes that the McCoy line will be one of the best lines.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

OIM

• Manager of Retail Operations with Sportsmen's Dire
    • View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
Nano is not a braid, think of it has a mono that just so happens to be made out of Dyneema. Here is my review on this line.

http://www.outdoorblog.net/outinmichigan/2011/11/08/berkley-nanofil/

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045
In the heart of the action on Lake St. Clair

OldSailor

• View Profile
There seem to be conflicting reports on Nanofil for ice fishing so I emailed customer service about it and they said it was NOT recommended nor tested for ice fishing. Bur if it works, it works!! I am going to spool a couple of my spinning outfits  with it  to see how it works. Nothing but glowing reports on it so far!! Besides, it doesn't look like an ice fishing test is in the cards around here this winter!! >:(
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I've been using Berkley Fireline Crystal Micro since the 2010-2011 ice season. 3 lb & 2 lb

It's strong stuff!
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Vexilar