Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Just My Opinion

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Lately I have noticed that we are getting a lot of new members and that is good. I debated wether to write this but it does bother me that people post with the most vague reports.Example is this I caught 15 saugeyes and 15 perch and 25 bluegills on any lake. The problem I have if you read my reports is this I give exact locations and also put my number if you need help.It seems to me that guys are putting reports on here just to show others up. I try to tolerate this but enough of the I caught a bunch of fish bragging without more detail if you report just give a area of the lake so at least guys have an idea. Last but not least is this I have been on Pro Staff for many years and I can assure you that if you need help I will do all I can to help[ but if this article offended you I don't care and won't loose sleep over it.
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

g

• View Profile
i agree with you dan. haven't made it out yet this year except once to a farm pond. on my past posts i would tell where i fished & what was the productive lure. it would be nice if people would at least give a general area so i know what areas are fishable. if the weather does what it is supposed to later this week we should be fishing again next week. going to try somewhere today. don't know if i'll make the hour & a half trip to indian or hit a local pond. hope to see you on the ice soon.

grant

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I agree 100% post the exact location and I went out with a new IFO member yesterday and that same discussion came up.  He is trying to get information and locations on lakes and nobody tells.  Heck if you post the exact place more often than not the fish won't even be there the following day.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I agree 90%.  You all know I'll post my spots.  I.e. the Dale Walborn and Deer Creek threads.  But sometimes if I put in the work, I want the reward. But even if I don't post my exact location, I'll post water depth, lure type and color, line size, bait type, and kind of structure they were on. Ill also give how deep the fish are in relation to the bottom.  That's enough to put someone on a successful pattern without giving up a sweet spot.  I'm not for hoarding information. This site is to help fellow ices out, it's not a bragging board, but we do like to post the pics of the big ones!! ;)
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Well stated,i also agree on the patterns to help out other fishermen depth,colors etc.i also recall a post not to long ago about secret spots and not trying to pry peoples spot out of them,if you are catching good fish and tell where you are next thing you know you have ten new shantys around you! :)
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I was at the Horseshoe in Cuyahoga Valley yesterday white jig with a waxworm by the cattails off the parking lot as you walk out to the left.  about 6 ft. of water.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

swedish nipple

• just like fishining out of a barrell
    • View Profile
I Am new to the site. I fish wellington & Spencer Lake primarily.
I posted on Spencer Lake the first time we had Ice this year.
I posted as much info as I could, I even went as far as to tell everyone what type of shanty I had so that IFO members could stop by and say hi. 2 days later i had 9 shanties parked withtin 15' around me in each direction.
I asked every shanty if they were an IFO member.
All of them said "no but we did get some nice tips on where the fish were and what they were biting on from there." I will post water depth, lure color, fish depth, time and general location. I will not post my GPS coordinates 8)
This being said, if you are a member and feel my current posts are to vague and would like more info.
Please feel free to pm me. I would like nothing more than to be able to help my fellow members and meet them on the ice, but I have worked to hard finding good holes on these lakes to post them for all of northern ohio to see.
When a member PM's me for more information I also give them my cell number so that they may call at anytime.

Spencer Lake, Wellington, Willard, Chippewa, Oberlin

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Understood,if you put the info out there the vultures will start circling,sounds like you already learned that lesson.
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
Ntoiceman will  tell anyone the gpslocations of all his hot spots . But the catfish are attracted to his line. Go figure . ;D

swedish nipple

• View Profile
Went back to spencer lake this weekend. See full report with pics in general discussion under Spencer lake .
I did take my other shanty out (ninja style) so the vultures wouldn't recognize me. Only had two guys drill holes near me and that is because I called them and told them to hurry up before someone else posted up by me. If you are looking for good gill action and don't mind fishing in southern Lorain county pm me.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
That is so funny lol,i love ninja style we make a song out of it
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

swedish nipple

• View Profile
YouTube look out we can do this just need some good ice

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I will agree that there are a lot of reports that are less than complete popping up here and there. However, as I told a member the other day, I think most of these members are more willing to share their spots in a private message than in the open forum.

I often withhold details, especially if the spot is not being heavily fished!

Here is a risk for some anglers to divulge inside information on certain spots they are not necesserily their own.

If it's my spot I don't mind, but if someone else is sharing their spot with me in confidence I can see the hesitation to broadcast.

I do agree with you (Dan) there are some reports coming through that should be more complete.

Great post

Dave has a format in mind that anglers can stick to... I'll repost one of mine.

Good fishin'

Ryan
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Went to CJ Brown this morning between 10:15 and 11:45.

I caught over 50 Crappie! Not just dinks either, in fact the smallest fish I caught would have been one of my biggest the last time I went there. I won't give you GPS coordinates on my exact spot, but I will tell you that you need to be in the Marina and you need to hunt around until you find the brush. I was fishing about 3' from a Christmas Tree and in was phenomenal! Biggest fish were caught in bunches, 3-4 at a time. Had to abandon my second rod after about 20 minutes of chaos. (What a great problem to have!!)

Ice: 3.5"-4"
Lure: Fiska Tungsten Jig Silver or Chart/Orange Gill Pill (both with 2 Spikes). They inhaled it.
Depth: Right off the bottom in 15' of water.
Technique: Tie the lures on with a perfection loop or a Rapala knot to give them some wiggle. Bottom pound a few times and lift off the bottom about 6" with about 3 twitches. Then steadily raise the lure up in a smooth motion. They would either hit within 3' or I'd drop it back down and get more fish gathered in. At one time I had 5 clear, red marks under me from repeating this pattern a couple of times.

This was not a subtle bite. Most of my fish were hooked very well.

Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replys yes most of peopleput more then adequate info and yes I understand  that if I need specifics I will pm you so that being said keep up the good work and keep it coming
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

Vexilar