Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Monday 1/17

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
 Fished Portage Lakes with my son, Nathan & a fellow icer,(Ed), who've we've ice-fished together for 40+ years. Needless to say, both Ed and I are getting older and the treks to & from our ice fishing spots are getting much, much longer & tougher and strenuous. I can;t believe I'm getting "so winded" on such a short 1/4 mile trek.

For the very first time, I had to wear spectacles (glasses) in order to see properly. (What a pain in the arse. I sympathize with those having to wear them). Granted, they are the cheap kind you buy at Marcs or Dollar Store, but it shows how time passes and the once sharp eyes & nimble fingers aren't what they were years ago.

Back to fishing.... We had steady afternoon activity. We fished till dark. Ed caught 41 and took home 17, Nathan only fished for an hour, then "nature called" and he high-tailed it home for a bathroom call. I took home 38 gills & 1 nice crappie... Cleaned 26.... Not huge monsters, but nice gills and 1 very nice crappie.  

The panfish had wonderful coloration, beautiful fin development,and no cysts/nematodes/or parasites in them..The fillets were nice & thick... which is a good indication of overall food source & availability and fish species health.

Best day so far on the ice. Can't wait to get out again.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 02:55:08 PM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Vexilar