Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Sunday Jan 30

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Both Ed & I met at the Portage Lakes Parking lot at 6:30 am.  Still dark, we lit up the lanterns and headed onto the ice.  The bite was steady till about 8:00 am then slowed considerably.  Again, we were catching dinks and no slab gills, crappie or perch. 

I decided to venture towards deeper waters and by accident caught this nice 27" channel cat.. 3 lb test, pin min & wax worm.  I hollered for Ed and he came over to lend a hand.  I asked him to get his gaff...and he eloquently stated he didnt bring his.... I requested he retrieve mine which was about 200yd away.  He got it and I slowly brought the fish into view not knowing what species...whether it was a walleye, carp, saugeye, etc...

Ed was barely able to get it thru the 5" hole I drilled.  Biggest fish I've landed thru the ice.
My son, Nathan, joined us about the time I brought the cat onto the ice.

As for the panfish.. another disappointing day.. Ed cleaned 16 while I caught 36 and cleaned 8.
As much as Nathan & I searched for the larger fish in deeper waters, we had no luck.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Vexilar