Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Tip Up how to's?

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
I have never used tip ups and wondered if someone could post a tip ups for dummy's guide here.
I'm not sure this is exactly where David wants posts like these but it's worth a shot!

Thanks
MDBuckeye  (Jason)

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Hey MD wisconsin Dave here if you google ICE FISHING WITH TIPUPS you will find a lot of utube video to choose from some of it short some long there was one two years ago that was relly good if I find it I will post the link here. Good Luck Dave

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
get with walleyeguy he is very good at tip up fishing
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile

If we get out next week I'll bring mine.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I can bring mine as well.

Here are the basics:
1. Spool the tip-ups with at least 100' of heavy braid or tip up line.
2. To this line attach your leader. (6-10lb. mono)
3. Use split shots to keep your live bait in check. Space them out a few inches apart to stabilize the bait.
4. Drop a sounder to the bottom (heavy weight on a gator clip,) and grab the line right at the surface of the water between your thumb and forefinger.
5. Pull up a bit of line from the hole to get your presentation off of the bottom. I usually go 4"-5" off the bottom. It is important to note that at this time you must also compensate for the extra drop imparted by the down rig on your tip-up. You Mark this spot with a small clip bobber and reel in the tip-up until the bobber rests against the line guide.
6. Remove the sounder from your hook and replace it with the bait of your choice. I like minnows!
7. Now wait for the magic to happen. Little fish goes in the hole, big fish comes out!

*Note*
Make very sure to account for the extra drop imparted by the down rig on your tip up! If the spool rests 8" below the surface and you want to fish 5" off of the bottom, you'll need to take in 13" of line to correct the difference. DO NOT FORGET THIS STEP!
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake