Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 07:41:45 AM

Author Topic: This evening 1/7  (Read 3983 times)

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
This evening 1/7
« on: January 07, 2011, 08:24:40 PM »

I just went over to take a look and get some bait so I wouldn't have to worry about it in the morning.  I went to Levans and got regular spikes and red spikes.  I went across the street to Mikes and had a long conversation with hiim.  He's a quality guy it seems.  I didn't have much cash with me nd he doesn't take credit so I only bought a couple of things and he threw in some glow jigs as well.  Anyhow, I went to Blackhawk and there weren't a lot of folks out on the ice there.  A few shanties, maybe 4 and a few pairs of people.  I saw one bluegill caught not terribly far from the end of the docks.  I went on out toward where I saw a couple of shanties and tried to jig for eye's but didn't hook up with any.

On another note, when I was leaving I went over to the shanties who were also getting off the ice and I saw something that wasn't very cool but I didn't say anything.  These guys had caught a bunch of gills over two days and kept some very marginal fish.  As the one guy was putting them in his bucket he would throw the small ones, dead, back in the hole.  Kinda made me a little sick since they weren't released when they were caught if they were marginal.  Oh well, hopefully tomorrow will be a great experience.  I'm stoked to get out and meet some of you.

Hillbilly

• View Profile
Re: This evening 1/7
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »

mikes has been nothing but helpful and friendly to us on our trips up there. Always pointed us in the right direction(even though we didnt always listen at first :(), good prices, open early, can shoot the bull with the best of them..what more could you want from a bait store?

HB 8)

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 09:43:18 AM »

As far as the small fish goes they are looking for these guys who are kiling the fish and also filleting them at the ramp.

Please call odnr and report them next time.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

megan66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 02:32:51 PM »

Fisherman/woman,

I've seen guys do the same thing on white bass @ Indian Lake. Why throw them on the ice to die. Throw the fish back in the water, they will get bigger and better. Also a trash fish to one  fisherman is a sport fish to another! My Mom loves to eat sheephead, (freshwater Drumm) but many people consider this species a trash fish.

I don't like to eat Crappies, but I don't throw them on the ice to die. If there too small, throw them back. If you don't won't the fish, throw it back, or give it to another man or woman to feed his family.

Megan.

LOST TACKLE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 05:56:22 PM »

i agree with megan if you dont want it put it back in the hole shad is another thing that should be put back even if they dont make it at least an effort was made what do you think is the main food supply for most of the fish in that lake
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar