Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Upcoming ice fishing season

Poll

What will the fishing this winter be compared to last?

better fishing
10 (52.6%)
same as last year
7 (36.8%)
not as good
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Being realistic we probably won't have the 4 month long ice season again unfortunately, that's one every 20 years. But with a cooler summer I'm thinking of the ice already and wondering what everyone thinks?  I had a great season last year and caught some great fish and for the first time ever never got shut out. How will this season compare to last?  Not in terms of length, it'll be tough to beat last year for that, but in terms of fishing success. I think it'll be similar to last year, at least for me.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Its never to early to start thinking about ice fishing season! Hopefully nature cooperates and we can all drill a few holes. I would like to see a more active tournament schedule here locally  this year.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I think it will be. The panfish series is a done deal. There will be at least 3 tournaments. One at Nimi, Mogadore, and hopefully the third at Wingfoot. I'm in the process of pulling the permits. We're thinking of making the open at Mosquito a championship for the panfish series as well as an open for those who don't fish the series. I'm just trying to work out the permit dates with the proper people for alternates in case the ice isn't safe. I don't want to pay for the same permit 3 times if we have to postpone. But I think it's close to being worked out. Will post the dates and rules when everything is official.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Just got back from Canada. We crushed the smallmouth. Netted some great Pike and even picked up a few trophy Pumpkinseeds. The coolest and first for me was the sauger. Very cool to catch these fish. I'm really amped up for the ice. I was talking to the Canadians about their ice fishing. Unbelievable how many feet of ice they get up there. Bring it on, I'm ready for the cold temps.
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

trapperjon

• View Profile
was just looking thru last seasons pictures. cant wait for this upcoming season.

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
SLAB dont know how we could have a better season than we did last year,it was the most productive for me in years,all geared up for this year,new shanty,boots,rods,reels,tackle,bring it cant wait,im sure ill run into you somewhere this year,had fun fishing with you last season,for now i have been perching and waiting for the steel to run,then bring on the ICE. :)
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Last year will be tough to beat. I'm really looking forward to ice season too. Have more new gear to try out (like I needed any more), and a new shanty too!  A one man this time. Hoping a smaller shanty will force me too take less gear and thus have a lighter sled. It gets tougher pulling that big shanty each year. But I'm looking forward to the ice though, can't wait!

Team Wilcraft!

toadfish

• View Profile
I am guessing this season will be about the same as last year.  It will be hard to beat a 4 fish limit of walleye in March from Lake Erie including a Fish Ohio eye.  I fished a lot of new to me waters with mixed luck.  Looking for a place nearby to be consistent on either perch or crappie.  My walleye on Grand Lake St. Marys has not been too good and will be getting worse due to the lack of stocking by the state the last few years because of the algae.  My work schedule will be crazy busy too, so that will cut into time to spend on the hard water.

I hope everyone has a safe, successful and enjoyable season.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
My gut tells me what goes up must come down. But trends and farmers tell me otherwise and I be like..why I gotta hate. Lets let this season be better than last. Hope is a powerful thing!
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 ;D every season I get to experience is a good season. Im pumped just thinking of the upcoming Alum Creek dock tourneys.

g

• View Profile
This season should be better for me - no scheduled surgeries to sideline me through Jan. Fished a few different lakes last year with decent success and hope totry a few more this year. Bring on the ice!

Vexilar