Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Slender spoons

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Just wondering if anybody on here uses the Slender Spoon made by Custom Jigs and Spins? I want to try them for panfish. Anybody have any luck with them?
turkey09

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I have never found that spoons work very well for blue gill which is what I taget most. A jig tipped with waxies is typically best for the blues...how ever, slender spoons are great for catching crappie and perch through the ice, especially in shallow lakes due to it's slow fall. Also you can bring blue gills in by actively working a spoon vertically in your hole then through another presentation down there once they have arrived. One tactic that works well with perch is to let the spoon drop to the side (slender spoons typically flutter down to one side) once it hits the bottom - start dragging the spoon on the bottom towards the hole and then jig it off the bottom for a bit. With Crappie work the spoon down from the top of the hole to 1 foot down and back up as they tend to gravitate towards the top of the ice which is why being quite in the shanty is especially needed with crappie in shallow water.

Spoons, in general, are great for perch and crappie especially in big bodies of water where you may need to raise it and drop it 4-5 feet to catch a fishes eye from 20-30 feet away in clear conditions and having a pinched off minnow or larvae on the treble will give them something to eat once they get closer. In larger bodies of water you may want to go with a heavier spoon then the slender spoon to get it down to the bottom quicker.

Think of it as a delivery system for your bait.

Banker
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply banker. I fish a lot of Swedish pimples and some kastmasters. Just wondered if the Slender spoons are worth a shot. Thanks again.
turkey09

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Get the lightest wieght one..1/16 i believe and it should out fish heavier spoons when fishing shallow water as it will fall slowly and get gold or silver so it puts off as much shine as possible. It has an unpredictable vibration to it that really draws fish in. Definitely worth a look.

Problem with these types of baits in this area is we live in an invertibre feed fishing zone. Panfish in particular are raised on eating bugs, fresh water shrimp etc. Spoons are great in lakes where forage minnows are the top of the menu. Some spoons are bigger than the biggest minnow in the lake so be cautious when loading up on spoons to fish central Ohio lakes. Tiny ice jigs have out performed spoons for bluegill where I fish. FYI (Indian Lake, Madison Lake)
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Banker I agree with you on the bluegills hitting ice jigs better than spoons. I only have one lake that the spoons are better. I wanted to try the slender spoon for crappie and perch and maybe some bass. Thanks for the info it's much appreicated.
turkey09

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Look at the Wirek Ice Spoons, Do Jiggers, Thin Fisher by Johnson, Nipigon Spoon by Williams, Whistler Spoon by Northland Tackle, Kirva Spoons by Nils Master, Orca Diver Glow by JB Lures.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Vexilar