Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Watch out if you see this!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Please be careful out there, if you see this exercise extreme caution!  Went to a farm pond today.  First time to fish this particular pond.  Got out, got my gear all set up and ready to go.  Smaller pond, not really worried, cold as it's been.  Didn't bother to spud or put my picks in my hands.  Started drilling holes and saw this.  Never fell in and ice didn't break, but it could have been bad.  Lesson is always use caution no matter where you fish.  Saftey must come first ice fishing.  Always spud and use your safety equipment, there is no such thing as safe ice.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
PS, I forgot to mention there was a 2 inch air gap between water surface and bottom of ice.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Great post and even better you put a picture with nice job
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
So did the water leave ice because Lake lowered somehow?

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I think that's exactly what happened.  On the far side of the pond there was a small overflow pipe and I could hear water trickling when I went over by it.  Ice was below the pipe, but I think muskrats hollowed out under the pipe and I didn't pay attention to it.

Team Wilcraft!

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Very good advice. I feel thru because of that same thing before. That just shows that there is no such thing as safe ice
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

ice phisher

• View Profile
Glad your fine and no bad ending.....Funny how even slight close-calls can raise one's awareness of safety issues.....You'll think about this again for awhile.....Thanks for posting this to get others thinking about safety issues.....
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
That could have been a bad deal but something to remind everyone about the air gap, it exist in a lot of spots and a few years back I read an article where a man fell in and survived using that pocket to breath until his buddies got to him so as long as you dnot panic it can come in handy. Just a thought Be Safe Dave

Vexilar