Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice gear

plantguy

• View Profile
Thought I would give some info on what I use. I fish a lot and on a low budget. I don't always catch them but feel I get my share. To start with I pack my gear on a modified kids sled. I do have 2 tip ups which I use to hold a spot that is good when there are people moving into the area I am fishing. I have 5 rods all with different set ups. One rod has a heavy spoon that I use to find the depth of water. (I don't use electronics). the others are rigged with different ice jigs. I always have one with little gold hook some gold beads and tiny 1/82 oz lead jig head not painted I will tip this with wax worms or salted minnow that gets cut so it is a wiggley little piece. The other 3 will get 1 small jig each a different color to match water conditions.  These get tipped with waxy or minnow.  I change size of piece of bait to find what fish want.  I move around a lot and drill lots of holes. Lake maps are helpful but I will look at the shore line does it come down gradually, is there a point or any visable structures that may be good.  Once fishing I will dead stick one rod the other gets worked up down thump etc. I change up until I get a bite. I always know where my bait is in relation to the bottom.  I did not do well in English class in school so forgive my run ons and spelling. I'll be fishing some place this weekend.

plantguy

• View Profile
One more thing.  Don't be afraid to get out and try something different. Maybe you will figure something out new or you will find a new place to fish. No fish does not mean you failed.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Well said.  Thank you!  These are the kinds of posts we need to see more of!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
Love this post ,I can see that you truly love this sport .

wis2ohio

• View Profile
The days when I didn't use a Vex were fun but now that I have one it's very hard to leave it home and it's fun to watch the fish come to the bait and see what type of action they are using glad to see you are staying with the basics.

g

• View Profile
nice post. sounds like me before i got my vex. sometimes i think i should go without my vex, wouldn't get so frustrated by not seeing the fish that are there not bite. oh well, so it goes.

Vexilar