Ice Fish Ohio Forum

How many rods do you carry?

Poll

On an average day, How many rods (not counting tipups) do you carry with you?

1-2 because thats all I can fish
2 (6.1%)
2-5 always nice to have a backup
18 (54.5%)
6-10 never know what you may need
11 (33.3%)
10+ I'm a walking rodshop!
2 (6.1%)
I don't need rods, the fish jump out of the hole when I walk by!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: January 19, 2014, 06:15:16 PM

steelneyes

• View Profile
I'm working on a little project in my head and curious to know how many rods, spinning or straightline etc. the average IFO member carries.  (Not to imply that any of the great members here would be only average ;D)
SO if you don't mind give it a quick click and after 5 days we will know the answers!  Don't worry, it's anonymous so you can be honest, your wife won't find out and no one will know to stop by your shanty and borrow your favorite stick!
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Voted two, but im playing with the idea of buying a frabill quick tip with and inline reel to carry along for panfish
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

gimme ice

• View Profile
I fish with two rods and keep a backup in the bucket.  ;)

swedish nipple

• just like fishining out of a barrell
    • View Profile
3 in my rod case and 2 in a bucket. You never know what's gonna happen. My uncle lost 2 down the hole in the same day. If I didn't have a few extra he would been sitting there watching me fish. Don't worry I duct taped the one he borrowed to his wrist.
Spencer Lake, Wellington, Willard, Chippewa, Oberlin

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
well I carry 5-6   :D  2 for me and a back up, and 2 for anyone that wants to come with me that doesn't have ice equipt.
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

steelneyes

• View Profile
I suppose I should admit that I'm at 6 since I started the pole, but each one has it's own purpose and is pre-rigged.  Plus it always seems that when the fish fill the screen, I invariably get a tangle or break a line on the ice, touch the lantern etc.  Plus I'm a simple cheap rod guy, my favorites are around $10-15 each for panfish..

swedish nipple

• just like fishining out of a barrell
    • View Profile
Yep mine are around the same price each. Per rigged and for specific bodies of water. I thought I was the only one that touched the lantern with thier line.
Spencer Lake, Wellington, Willard, Chippewa, Oberlin

steelneyes

• View Profile
Nipple,
Nah its a talent that usually has to do with trying to charge a glow jig. Fish know it and hit the deadstick, you jump and vaporize the line on the jig rod, say bad words and miss the deadstick fish anyway :-[

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
God has blessed me with many rods.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

xrider

• View Profile
I carry 8 in my bag.1 ultra light, 2 light.3 med, 1 quick tip and a heavy rod. you never know what your getting into until get on the ice. I like to be ready for anything.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Steelneyes saw my bucket today, and those were just the panfish rods. The walleye ones were in the garage. So I'm over 12 every time on the ice. I'd rather change rods then lures when my hands are numb! ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

steelneyes

• View Profile
And you my friend are the reason I included the 10+ category.  DOn't worry you probably won't be alone by the end.  Although I did feel somewhat inadequate while driving home ;)

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Over 25 years of ice fishing you accumulate a lot of gear! ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

quackpot

• View Profile
I answered 2-5 but for the ones who saw my truck at the dock tourneys, you know it's two many for one person. I've only bought three new ones this year. Lol

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I put down 2-5.  I usually carry 2 UL, 2 M and a cheap jigger rod with no reel.  My rod collection is not complete yet, though.  I'd like to add a couple light action rods and some quick tip rods, maybe a heavy rod down the road too.  I guess it's the Boy Scout in me, always be prepared.

Vexilar