Ice Fish Ohio Forum

noob fear

zoeconner

• View Profile
    • QuickFishTipUp
I went out on my pond tonight and dug a whole. Man what fun lol. The hole time I was really sh**ing my pants. Once I got through it, it was about 3"-4" of ice. Is that good for a pond or lake? How was it your first time on ice? How did you get over it? I dropped in my Ice 35(love it). Just one on the ice for about 15min and loved it. I might like this better than soft water ;D.
The first tip up that can be fished on ice and land.

www.quickfishtipup.com

Hillbilly

• View Profile
Been cuttin holes in the ice for over 15 years, still get light footed when a  rift comes running across the ice. First ever trip i took my fishing partner on the ice (hes over 350lbs by the way), had him sittin on a bucket, after a couple other folks down-lake drilled some holes, pressure changed, and a crack came ripping up the lake, you could hear it coming, and it ran right underneath his bucket...before i could tell him it was ok, i looked up to see a bucket spinning, and him standing over it, and he suddenly only weighed about 4.3lbs and was more than ready to run, i think if i had sneezed he'd have cleared the distance to shore in about 3 seconds...

A healthy respect for ice will keep you safe, ive seen alot of people try to be tough guys, push the limits, dont be that guy, he normally ends up wet, very cold...much worse in some cases, dont be that guy.

HB 8)

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Gosh guys sounds like we hooked another, good to hear some of you are getting out wait until youve been on a river thats gone down a bit and the ice drops a couple of inches under you no real danger but it will make you cringe. Hopefully you never get over it thats when you start to take things for granted and thats when bad things can happen have fun but above all be safe Dave

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
4'' is good, I've been on alot less than 4'' and I'm around 250lbs, If the ice is clear its good ice if its white its bad. I wouldn't suggest to anyone to go out on less than 4''. Keep in mind NO ice is completely save.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
if you have good clear ice that you can see right through you're in good shape with 4". Just remember, the spaot you're in has 4", but 15 feet away might have 1"-2".
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Please use the spud bar to check the ice as you walk out. 2 hits and if it does not go through than its pretty good ice.

Then drill to check the thickness. If the ice is not clear than it could be unsafe.

Last please don't go out by yourself. That is why i started the site so you can meet people in your area to fish with.

You will love the 35. Good luck and hope to see you on the ice this winter. Dont forget to post pictures of your catch. We love to see them
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Vexilar