Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Help with gear

zoeconner

• View Profile
    • QuickFishTipUp
I'm wanting either a gas auger or a nice ice armor suite. Wich one would you get? What's the smallest size auger I could get for just just going through 1' of ice?
The first tip up that can be fished on ice and land.

www.quickfishtipup.com

luv2fish

• View Profile
that's a good question, do you own a good shanty? if so i would get the auger. But if you don't have a good shanty, then i would buy the suit.
 I think the 6" lazer would be my guess on the auger. I read where guys are having trouble with the last inch of the hole though. Something about the blades were not the swedish made blades and it made a edge on the last portion of the hole, that could cause some problems with cutting the line if you had a good fish on.
  I have the 7" lazer, but need to replace the blades on it. When i bought mine i didn't get the one with the adjustable height, and that makes a big difference too. Of course mine is a hand crank auger. I know nothing about the gas augers, so i can't help on that. Good luck with the fishing, and be safe.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Get the suite. It could be a life saver while the auger is simply a time saver.

As for augers: I have 3
8" Strikemaster Lazer
6" Stikemaster Lazeer
5" Strikemaster Mora

All 3 have their usefullness, but I'm getting very comfortable with the 5" due to the ice thickness this last week or so. (Smaller holes are easier to drill, but you run the chance of losing a few fish at the hole if they're lightly hooked).

When you're drilling alot of holes in search for your prey, an inch or two really makes a HUGE difference in energy expired in drilling them.

I'd guess the 6" is the most popular size whether it's a Mora, Lazer or other brand.

GET A SUITE... YOU'LL NEVER REGRET IT.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

g

• View Profile
i vote for the gas auger. i haven't used my hand auger all year. i have the 8 inch strikemaster lazer mag express. had it for 7 or 8 years. hand augers are too hard on my bad shouldres. my buddy just bought the jiffy propane powered auger. a little pricey but it starts first pull everytime, less fumes, & you don't have to mess with gas & oil.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I bought both this year, and really like having both, if I had to choose one I would probably go with the suit, the auger is a luxury the suit is a necessity. 
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

zoeconner

• View Profile
    • QuickFishTipUp
Do you think the blue one will work for around here? How many layers do you have to put on to stay warm?
The first tip up that can be fished on ice and land.

www.quickfishtipup.com

panfisher1402

• View Profile
I wear one pair of long underwear under jeans and a sweat shirt.
I have never got cold or wet in my blue Ice Armour.

Vexilar