Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Dec Forecast Doesnt Look Good for Ice

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Daytime Temps are moderating in the 30's while the nights are teasing slightly below freezing.  Those conditions dont bode well for ice formation.  Looks like it's gonna be a later start than last year. (Last year I was on Moggy - Congress Lake Road Dec 12th).

COME ON GUYS... DO YOUR ICE DANCE!
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I know. With that arctic air that came in around mid November I thought we'd have an early ice season. I didn't think we'd stay on ice from that point forward, but thought by mid December we'd be on Mogadore and Nimi. This sucks!  I'm ready for some time on the ice, but what I've heard is a milder December followed by a cold January and February. Hope that holds true, I want a good 8 weeks on the ice at least!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Fish2Win

• View Profile

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Yes, this is annoying. I read this today on a snowmobiling website from a meteorologist:
The pattern in the next 10 days looks similar to what would occur during an El Nino and conditions where El Nino occurs continue to move towards an El Nino. However, it is way too early to make a call as to if the pattern change underway is the new pattern for the winter, or just a bump in the road.

I also got really excited in mid-nov but man you had to figure it wouldn't last :(
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
This weather sucks! Period!! >:(
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Icetester

• View Profile
Jan. 1st until Mar. 7th.  It's all good. Let's get the holidays out of the way and get to it there after. I'm expecting cold for Christmas and ice for the New Year.

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 Come on guys , we live in Ohio . The weather here is a fickle mistress . But we all want the same thing , safe ice and hunger fish . So ready your gear and keep an eye on the thermometer .  :D

joewallguy

• View Profile

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I got a new shanty and other stuff for this year too. I guess I share some of the blame.  :-\
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Saw guy

• View Profile
Was reading a Michigan fishing report, and they are fishing the south shore of Houghton Lake. Catching Walleye, Pike , and gills.  

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Could be a ROAD TRIP on the horizon if we dont get ice soon.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
4 sure the weather has really been screwy , even deer hunting has been a real challenge all it does is  RAIN,RAIN   :P :P.   
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
A road trip would be fun. Keep us posted on Ice conditions. I like to hit Lake Simcoe for perch but need to get my passport.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

g

• View Profile
The one constant in Ohio is unpredictable weather and meteorologists that can't predict it accurately. Hope they are wrong as usual. I figure we will get safe ice, it's just a matter of when.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I submitted forms to take the last 2 weeks of December off work in order to do some "early season" ice fishing.  Now I'm thinking it's gonna be a BUST.  The forecast looks lousy for us.

Nov 21st & 22nd were just teasers!

This Sucks!

Vexilar