Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Tip Ups

Banker · 5 · 2701

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I am thinking about getting some tip ups for Saturday's outing. Haven't used these in the past and don't have a good reason as to why. Did you know that in the state of Ohio you can set up 6 tip ups per person. There will be 4 of us coming out to the event on Saturday, that means we could legally set up 24 tip ups (check my math) - that's crazy talk. For those of you going on Sat, don't freak out as I am only planning on purchasing like two, but maybe a couple years from now...watch out :o I will be known as the guy with 3 friends and 24 tip ups  8)
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
You can set up 24 tipups and fish 8 rods between the 4 of you. That's 32 lines in the water at the same time. I love my tip-ups. I only set them out if I'm going to stay in that area for awhile as they are a hassle to set up and take down. I was on Mosquito last week and there were 3 guys just surrounded by tipups and even had a loaded 12 gauge shotgun laying on top of his sled. I didn't go up and talk to him and ask why.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:41:57 PM by HardWaterJunkie »
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
Is it still goose season?
A shotgun while ice fishing... there's only one story like that I have ever heard and that was my late grandfather who was ice fishing Mosquito and went back to his car to get his shotgun and shot a goose, chased it across the ice and ended up falling through in water, thank God, only up to his waste.  That was years ago though...  he still got that goose!

Salmonid

• View Profile
Thats right banker, we often fish tip ups with cut shad on them for cats while we are jigging around for panfish. Maybe you just talked me into bringing some of mine for saturdays event..... ;)

Salmonid

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
i always have a few with me. don't always set 'em out, like hardwater says they're a pain if you want to move a lot. they help you cover more water. set them at different depths along a point, channel, weed bed, etc. from what i've been told, and in my exp. some lakes are better than others for tip up fishing. if you're gonna sit for a while, your odds are lots better with 8 hooks than 1.

Vexilar