Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Hi New guy with a question

Artjr · 12 · 6008

Artjr

• View Profile
Hi!
My name is Art and this will be my first year ice fishing. I live just over the PA line and I just found this site thanks to "Oldsailor". Anyway I was transfered here from KS and I have never had the chance to ice fish and I have a ton of questions. But here is my first one.

I have done a ton of soft water fishing. I have a lot of tub and other jigs like stingers from southern pro for crappie. Will these work through the ice for crappie or perch? They work in soft water but what about in the winter? I am guessing the smaller 1.5 inch versions? How about walleyes? or small twisters or crappie or perch?

I have seen and read about the special ice plastics and have a few from C&S spins but not many. But a guy can't aford to spend a ton of money to buy all this stuff. At least I can't and still eat. LOL I get my gear by doing odd jobs to earn extra money so the Mrs. and Kids don't go with out. And Momma don't beat me up. LOL

I was just wondering what you guys thought.

jumpy

• View Profile
    • www.buckeyefishingcharters.com

Artjr

• View Profile
"Walleye is king." ????? Not sure what you mean? They are good baits or you are a servent of walleye's?? ;)

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes, the 1.5 inch tubes will work great thru the ice.  Deadly on  the crappies.  I use those on occasion.  Not sure about the twisters, never tried those.  For walleyes use a vib-e or jiggin rap.  That's the best for starters on the eyes.  For crappies try small jigging spoons.  Also grab a couple gill pills, they're great for bluegill and will help pass the time if nothing is biting.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:19:01 PM by slabslayer »
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

OldSailor

• View Profile
Be nice and answer his questions, of which he will have many!!! ;) I steered him to this site from IS, where he PM'd me about our ice fishing! We've had such crappy ice around here that I haven't gotten out much!! But I think I pointed him in the right direction and hope you guys can help him out.... ::) You've all been pretty good to me, so here's another poor lost soul in need of help!!! AND ICE!!!! :D
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You're right about that!  We all need help.....and ice!!  Not sure its in that order though....... ???    ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

ice phisher

• View Profile
First WELCOME TO THE SITE Artjr.......Try to get hooked up with guys in your area and get someone to give you a tag-a-long day offer and that will be worth gold to you.....Most will offer to let you use some of their gear to get you off to a good start.....Then it's a situation of watch and learn.(also hopefully catch) and it can narrow down for you... just what basics you might require....Someone going to Mosquito or other local lakes near the Pa. line whould be right up your alley.....I don't range as far these days (but on a whim) I will travel to Mosquito if ice conditions warrant it..........Well, just keep asking questions here and "PRAY" for ice..... and I'm sure that you will be taken under a wing here......because of these great guy's on here....PS..You don't have to spend an arm and leg to get into ice fishing..........BUT BE WARNED.....IF YOU GET BITTEN BY THIS ICE FISHING BUG........IT THEN CAN BECOME A SPEND WHAT EVER YOUR BUDGET WILL ALLOW............AKA, THE SKY'S THE LIMIT...Best of luck to you.
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
hey art . glad your here .. you say you live just over the pa line,, when we get ice go to pymatuming and give that a try , ask the people on the ice whats workin and where...thats a good walleye . place...mosquito also. and dont forget about the steel head in the rivers up north  there great....small vibes.gold spoons,kastmasters, well hope to see ya out there ....ps ..alot of guys here and the info will save you years of trial and error     good luck
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Welcome to IFO. I have used the small tubes on a #8 & #10 lead head and had good luck on the crappies. I didn't do to well if the water was stained and muddy. On a nice clear lake( like wing foot) I did very well with them sight fishing. Also I do well with them on perch but I don't catch many gills on them for some reason. As for the twister tails I have only used the really small ones(3/4 in. & 1 in.)  and did well with them fishing brush piles & overhanging trees under the ice. I have taken almost all of my soft water jigging gear on the ice at one time or another to try them out and have found that most of them will work. What works one day may not work tomorrow and it never hurts to try. Seeing that your just starting out make sure you always go out with someone else for safety reasons. There are a lot of good guys on this site from all over the state that will be willing to take you out and show you the ropes. Once we get ice you are more then welcome to come with me anytime. I mainly fish wingfoot, mogadore, walburn, deer creek and portage lakes but I do go up to mosquito 5-10 times during a normal season.  Again welcome to IFO and if you have any other questions just ask.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I would also post under fishing partners so you can meet guys in your area.

Please watch the safety videos because they are a good source on how to get out in case you fall through. Never ice fish alone!

If you send me a pm with full name and address, I will send you a starter kit of Ice jigs from Grandpa Bob's and Jammin Jigs. I will also send you a pack of McCoy fishing line to help you get started.

Thanks for joining the site!
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
http://www.spookyspiders.bravehost.com/
Check out this site his ice ants and hair jigs are killer and they are tungsten for a buck each!
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the link, those are really cool!!  Now I need to get some of the tungsten jigs!

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar