Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice for the weekend ????

Chilly willy

• View Profile
Think we will have ice for the weekend ? Hoping to hit Berlin or mosquito .

Treble

• View Profile
Dunno bout Berlin. Its always the last to be safe around here.

Chilly willy

• View Profile

Icetester

• View Profile
Things in general do not look good, we had one too many days of summer during winter recently. The cold snap, or shall I say slight drop in summer temps will not produce a whole lot of ice in the next few days. It will not be cold enough, yet. You mentioned the weekend, I'll leave it at maybe. It's funny tho, they show major drops in temps from this weekend extending beyond the month, it's funny because the jet stream is going to push back up next week from the models I view. They say cold, but next week we need a change in the jet stream to get our winter back. Hope the back half of the season is better then the front. Now is the time to be extra cautious.

steelneyes

• View Profile
Berlin and WB both had water rushing into them and broken up ice from what I could see driving by on 14 and 224 yesterday.  The bigger lakes like skeeter that don't have much current and aren't as subject to water level changes may be alright after a few days to firm back up, but definately back to spuds, partners and extreme caution.
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

A@C

• View Profile
They are still fishing the north end of pymatuning

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I will be very surprised if ice fishing around here this weekend ,  this stinkin thaw AGAIN , is  cramping my diet, my women and I eat a lot of fish and supply is not meeting demand    hahahahah ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Treble

• View Profile
Chilly I seen a couple posts on Berlin, but I wasn't on it. The lakes around it were just starting to get good. I can walk to Berlin from my house. Doesnt make me an expert, and Im not telling you what to do but Id take SteelN and iceT's advice. If your after eyes hit skeeto till you start seeing lotsa reports on Berlin. Berlin basically a river in the winter. Lots of current in some areas, also the Army corp uses it for flood control for the Ohio River. Imo its probably the most dangerous lake around here to ice fish. Deer Creek and Walborn have been great for crappies this yr. Be safe, use a spud, and take a buddy. Good luck  

Chilly willy

• View Profile
Thanks to all for the advice . Wanna get on before the walleye tourney and see if I can at least catch a walleye through the ice !! Lol are they fishing the north end of skeeter ?

Vexilar