Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Tip up advise !!!!

Chilly willy

• View Profile
Ok I'm new and just bought tip ups , I know how to set them up but need advise on what pound test line to spool them with ? I put 6 lb mono on them was wondering if I needed to use the tip up line ?

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Everyone has their own setup, here is what I do:
15-20lb tip-up line with a 8lb fluorocarbon leader tied with a blood knot. I use a VMC Inline 5537 Treble Hook. <-- this hook has one shank that's longer than the other two.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
Use 15 or 20 lb test tip up line , you can see it alt better on the ice .

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
For storing & transporting Tip Ups.. here's the gizmo I made:

We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Chilly willy

• View Profile

fishingful

• View Profile
the problem with spooling them up with mono is they are like a huge spring of line the next year when you go to use them. I use dacron http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=103020&src=froogle&gclid=CMPfy4TGgLwCFclaMgodHBEAJA

like that then use fluro carbon as a leader......as light as I can get away with usually 6 lb test

fishsee5

• View Profile
I switched to the Clam Arctic warrior tip ups a few years back and got rid of all of my traditional tip ups. These things work great and are quick and easy! You just use any pole and Velcro a bracket to your poles handle. You can pick these up off of Amazon.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I like a product called an HT rigger. Simple to use and they use a rod. I prefer a device that uses a rod. JawJacker, Quickfish, HT Riggers, and the like are all great products that are easy to carry and use your rods for easier fish fighting.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I have a setup that can be found on youtube that uses a piece of wood leader, wire hanger and an ice pole that you can set at different sensitivity levels and it will set the hook or you.. It's a nice setup. Check out the link to see my pics that I posted under inventions...

http://www.icefishohio.com/index.php?topic=9401.0

Chilly willy

• View Profile
Ok here is what I came up with after looking ok YouTube . Easy to make and cost me nothing , scrap wood coat hanger and a shoe string !!!! Looks like it will work to me ! Will find out Saturday if I am not working

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I switched to the Clam Arctic warrior tip ups a few years back and got rid of all of my traditional tip ups. These things work great and are quick and easy! You just use any pole and Velcro a bracket to your poles handle. You can pick these up off of Amazon.

I have 3 of these NEW out of the box if you want to buy them $45
(I dislike them)
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

Chilly willy

• View Profile
Here is what I came up with !! Free !!!!!!!! Price is right and hoping to try it out this weekend

fishsee5

• View Profile
Thanks for the offer wballard77 but I just purchased a Marcum 5.6 showdown and running low on funds.

fishingful

• View Profile
I use the ht tip ups. When they go off you can see the pin spinning on the top just grab it and set the hook. I have had just about every kind you can buy. They work the best.

toadfish

• View Profile
Hey Chilly Willy, your tip-up question depends on the species of fish you are targeting.  I would use Dacron tip-up line if targeting pike, but 4lb or 6 lb if targeting panfish.  Maybe 6# or 8# for eyes.

The only time I use tip-ups is if I am traveling and looking for pike.  Moving around and actively jigging seems to catch way more fish.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Vexilar