Ice Fish Ohio Forum

February without ICE?

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Don't think I can recall a February without ice. I still think we'll be on the ice but only on inland lakes in protected bays.  If not, I may start believing in Global Warming.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

quackpot

• View Profile
I read a report that this was the warmest year on record. I'm hoping for a cool down.

Downthehole

• View Profile
The cool down is coming....starting Thursday we have highs in the 30's and lows in the 20's. This is going to last at least 10 days according to weather forecasts....

We may get out yet!
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

g

• View Profile
Hopefully, we will be on Indian next weekend.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
surley weird weather,  but at this point im crazy enough to howl at the moon     right? 
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Ready for round 3 myself!!  We'll be on but I don't think the big pond will freeze at all.  :'(
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
Still have faith we will be on inland waters again this year but Erie is a definite no go this year. Hopefully the last 8 year cycle will hold true and the next 2 years will be great ice for a lot of winter.

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
no ice on erie no problem,launched out of mazurick ramp wed. 1-26-17 ,got shiners at herbs,rickards is closed and looks like it' for sale,trolled and jigged,did not do any good,but at least got out of akron for the day... :D :D
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
hopper i was up just before ya and that front gave them lock jaw, and the active fish were farther n  w  ... alot of marks

g

• View Profile
Only thing I have to say to snowcone and holehopper is JEALOUS. Glad you made it out and in safely, just sorry you didn't catch fish. Herbs is my go to bait shop, reasonable prices and generous amount of shiners per scoop.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
it was a good day, i went up mainly because i couldnt believe open water in jan ???  the water  temp was 33 , there must have been 300 boats sat, im lovin global warming   ;D ;D ;D  all my ice gear is put away and im getting ready to put a water pump impeller on my 90 merc  because regular maint makes a happy motor....the bad part was i tore up the yard trying to get the boat out , all the rain has my yard  grass pudding.. :P   cant wait to get back up ... herb was very nice and gave us a few tips that was gold.....very strange weather has the fish acting different...sometimes i think i just suck but thats fishin   ;D    hey G  if you could tell the fish to be more friendly i would appreciate it..heheh

g

• View Profile
Don't worry about it snowcone, I already sent them a memo. LOL

toadfish

• View Profile
My guess is that Lake Erie will not freeze enough to get out on ice yet this season.  Even Grand Lake St Mary's is still open.  Forecast does have some cold temps, but not low enough to build safe ice in the next 10 days.  Maybe time has come to put away the ice gear for the season and hope for a better one next year.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I agree on Erie. Maybe the backwaters and bays, but not the main lake. But if the wind calms down, we'll definitely be on inland lakes.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Green Pea

• View Profile
My hope for the week is I will get to fish Indian Friday evening after work.

Vexilar