Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Spud bar help?

roosterfish

• View Profile
I told myself that since I’m waiting for 4”+ of ice, I really didn’t need to get a spud bar….I would just follow the crowd. However, I can’t wait for the crowd, and hope to get on the ice early next week (if Saturday doesn’t spoil the party).

So, I don’t have time to order a “proper” ice chisel, and finding ice gear in SW Ohio is almost impossible.

Is there something that I can get at a hardware store?

This looks like it would do the trick, but at 17lbs it might just go through 6” of ice?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Atlas-70-in-Tamper-Head-Digging-Bar-GXB-441/202531238

Any cheap recommendation that I can find locally would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Mark

CFosterI

• View Profile
I bought a 6' ground rod at Glens Surplus and a big 18" hammer type chisel at harbor freight and welded it to the last foot of the ground rod. Then I put some of the rubber wrap that you put on baseball bat handles where I hold it. I've been pretty happy with it. Not that heavy. Take 3 punches to go through 3" of ice.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Here's the one I use.

http://m.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1335602

I put some duct tape on the top to make a knob to hold on better. It's not too heavy and if you don't have welding equipment or as in my case too lazy to weld something up.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
I think 17 lbs. is too heavy. Wouldn't want to carry it and spud with it. Try calling some bait shops where you plan on fishing and see if they stock spud bars.

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Having a spud bar or chisel necessary, especially for staying site at first ice. Be sure you have a set of pucks if you're going to forego the spud.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

Tin Guppy

• View Profile
Roost fish the pro bass shop at Indian is where I got mine.

Downthehole

• View Profile
I have the Eskimo Redneck 1 piece ice chisel. It knocks ice out very well and costs $39.99. There are plenty of sales on at the moment so you'll get one cheaper. Also check out the clam ice chisels there are also on sale - saw one for $19.00 at Sportsmans Direct. Both are 11lb.

Before I bought my chisel I had a spud bar from Home Depot - it was ok, heavy and the head profile did not really chip out the ice. It was often difficult to pull it out of the ice. Several times I ended up cracking the ice as I tried to lever ithe spud bar out of the hole (not a good idea).....
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
just about any bar of somin heavy and long enough to walk along with and bam the ice..mine is an axle 1 "  o d and about 4 ft long.  maybe hit up lowes and get a piece of re bar ....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
3/4 pipe 5 or 6 ft. long. hammer one end flat and sharpen.fill with sand if you need more weight. put a "t" on the other end for a rope.

Vexilar