Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Circle hooks on tip ups?

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
I use trebles on my tip ups right now, and know that there's gonna be a lot of gut hooked trout but i eat them so it doesnt really matter, but I'd like to try circle hooks so I can release some of the smaller ones, anyone used circle hooks for tip ups? I use them or catfish but that's about it
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

steelneyes

• View Profile
I don't think you would get a strong enough pull on a tip up fishing trout for a circle hook to penetrate and work properly.  Besides if they are inhaling a treble, they will inhale a circle in a similar size as well.  Don't know what bait you are running, but a larger single light wire hook will probably work better and be less likely to gut hook them while still hooking up. 
Circle hooks work on the principle of hanging up in the fishes mouth as they try to swim away from a tight line and go to spit the bait, the angle of the hook catches them in the corner of the mouth. 
I didn't understand that and left one in the gut of a 5lb flathead on the Ohio this summer fishing cutbait under a float next to a logjam. Fish took it and swallowed it without sinking the float till I checked the bait 15 mins later.
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

Vexilar