Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Starve reef

ledhed · 5 · 3865

ledhed

• View Profile
I was out today fishing the islands,slowest day I've ever had.I had a couple friends fishing Starve reef the last couple days and have doing pretty good.They pulled their gear off today as the ice is getting thin,they said they lost 4" today.They said one fellow fell through the ice walking from one shanty to another and a quad went through on the trail heading to Shrocks/Mazuriks.I talked to some guys in the State park lot that had ridden around the point all the way to Starve.These guys were from out of town and had no idea what kind of trouble they could have gotten into.They said water was shooting up out of the cracks as there quads went past.That was on the way out!!When they got back they told me the ice is getting bad everywhere,not true where I fished.

In my opinion that area is the most dangerous spot off Catawba.I've been ice fishing off Catawba for 40 yrs and I know for sure when the current starts moving over those rocks and reefs the upswell eats the ice from the bottom up.There is a reason that area is the last to freeze.

Watching those quads crawl around Mouse and out into the pass makes me cringe,those guys have much bigger stones than me.Somebody's gonna get wet,again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is,if you're planning on fishing Starve,you might want to reconsider.Good luck and be safe out there.

phishyone1

• When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
    • View Profile
Was the trail going nw around the pass and then towards green getting bad also? I was out sat and it wasnt bad but getting a little chewed from the quads.....
Thank you,
Pete Sekerak (Phishyone1)

ledhed

• View Profile
That trail is in very good shape,much less current where the far west trail is.I just couldn't find fish and I drilled plenty of holes and covered a whole lot of ice.I've never had a day when I couldn't even mark them on the vex.It was the slowest day I've ever had on the lake.

overcheck

• View Profile
Hopefully you will help someone. Coming from 40 years of ice fishing Catawba

g

• View Profile
went out of mazurik fri., sat. & sun. & fished above the red can at starve. nothing fri., 16 sat. between 4 of us & 1 sun. between 6 of us. a 2nd crack opened up a half mile out on sat. we all ride snowmobiles. the ice seemed to be getting thinner but we were still on 8-12 inches. the bite was on sat. afternoon. marked a few fish sun. morning until 9:00 & then nothing. have to wait & see about the weather for this weekend

Vexilar