Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Lites for night bite crappie ?

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
  ???  Does the lantern help draw in crappie in winter ? I've never stayed on the ice after dark  and want to try it .

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes it does.  I've done it on Deer Creek a few times. But I don't know how far it'd draw them, I found them before dark, but they did seen to turn on a few minutes after I fired up the lantern next to the hole. I know the lights work for night fishing in summer.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Cleaning the snow off of the ice to spread the light helps a ton!
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

Icetester

• View Profile
Yes. The light does work, and well. Like the above post, shovel the area around your preferred spot. Lanterns work well and are the usual choice. I take it a step further when fishing at night in deep water, 20' and deeper. I drag out 12 volt batteries, sometimes just one unless I'm with a group, then they drag out 2 or more. I use those floating styrofoam lights, I drill a hole and set it in. That beam of light is sick in clear water. It will attract fish, but it does not make them bite.
They usually suspend in the water column and you need to either tease em in if they are stubborn, or I prefer to dead stick minnows just above the suspenders. I also don't usually fish directly in the light, or beam, I fish the outside edges. To me night time crappie fishing is the second main reason I ice fish. First being walking on water of course. I fish solo a bunch, so I like the floating light. When I fish with a group we shovel and set up lanterns, some in the shanty, and at least outside of it in between the shanties. I'm sick thinking I'm not doing this at this very moment....
I think lanterns in shallow water 14' and up. And the beam in deeper water 15' and down.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:33:37 PM by Icetester »

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 ;D thank everyone for your responses. This is why I love this site , information given to anyone at anytime . I will be night time ice fishing this year.  ;D

steelneyes

• View Profile
Personal experience on the ice is to try with and without, I have a submersible light that looks like an aquarium heater, some nights it helps, other nights I turn it off and the bite improves.  Like others said, in shallow water, the lantern seems to be enough.  I always carry it just in case.
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

Vexilar