Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Mr. Heater Buddy Radiant Heater

ice hole 2

• View Profile
A few years ago, I bought a Mr. Heater portable Buddy Radiant Heater Model MH9BX using 1 lb. propane disposable cylinders for use in my ice fishing shelter from Cabela's.  Tried it only 1 time just to check it out. Worked fine but used it for just a few minutes. The owners manual says it's safe "for indoor use in small recreational enclosures having means for providing combustion air and ventilation such as enclosed porches, cabins, fishing huts, trailers, tents and vans. Can be used for emergency indoor heating when connected to a disposable 1 lb. propane cylinder having means for providing combustion air and ventilation". BUT I'm still concerned about carbon monoxide in my ice shelter.Has anyone used this type of heater in their ice fishing shelter? Any problems? Is it really safe?
My best friends are ice holes.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I’ve used it frequently. I have never had any type of problems or experienced any issues with it. No carbon monoxide headaches or anything like that. I always just open the little tiny vent at the top of my shanty for a little bit of airflow and a lot of times I’m fishing with just a thin shirt on in there. But my shanty is a thermal. So it holds the heat really well. But I have also used it in my Wilcraft and I’ve never had a problem there either, and that doesn’t have an air vent.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
I’m pretty sure they have a safety feature and it will not stay lit if oxygen is to low.

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
use mine all the time,no issues,im still here........... :) :) :)
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yepper i have 2  just keep a little flap open for fresh air,   they do have safety features    low o2    tip over   ....  never had any side effects ffrom them other than running me out of the shed sweating  hahahahah. my double burner with the fan is too much , usually my single will do the job...
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Evinrude58

• View Profile
The do have the two sensors mentioned. One thing you need to do is test run it now to ensure it fires up and runs correctly. If stored in a shed or garage for some reason spiders seem to clog the gas line which causes malfunctions. Not a big deal just need to clean it if that is the case and there are videos on Utube showing how to do it.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
So true!   Yet another reason I despise spiders.......
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

ice hole 2

• View Profile
Thank's guys ! Appreciate the info. and tips. Feel better now . All we need is cold weather, safe ice and we're ready to go !
My best friends are ice holes.

Vexilar