Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Mushroom Hunting

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I don't know how many of you hunt, but the season is coming. I plan to post my pictures on here along with counts and conditions.

A lot like fishing posts I guess.

If you have never been and would like to give it a try, I can share some of what I know.

Others, feel free to post your finds as well.

Until the season starts, I'd like to read some stories.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

jmsteele187

• View Profile
What kind of mushrooms do you usually look for, morels? I love mushrooms and have always wanted to go looking for them, but don't really know where I should be looking.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Same with me.  I find a few now and then in my woods, but never take the time to do it right.  We love mushrooms too.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:38:15 PM by slabslayer »
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I hunt morels and half-frees "Peckerheads" 90% of the time.

I usually do best in higher humidity and after the fruit trees bloom. The mushrooms I hunt will usually be found inside of a 4-6 week growing season. The mushroom season can last into late May or early June depending on how quickly it gets hot.

I have found large morels that were just about used up as late as Memorial weekend in central Kentucky. I have also found them as early as late March near the reservoir in Bellefontaine.

I look for Mayapples about knee-high and Trilliums where they bloom. I also look for dead or dying Elms and Ash trees, but they can be found in and around stands of Maples and to a lesser degree, Oaks.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
my sister isfinding in sw iniana now!!!  We find around tulip poplars and butternut trees also!   

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Good info.  My woods has all the above described locations.  I'll be on the lookout, thanks for the heads up!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

jmsteele187

• View Profile
This may be a dumb question, but how do I know if I'm looking at a elm or an ash tree? I know a lot of trees, but these are two that I don't know how to identify.

beckslabs

• View Profile
I went for two hours today and found 18 blacks in Darke county. Just starting to come up but we need rain rain rain please    ;D

zoeconner

• View Profile
    • QuickFishTipUp
The best time to go for me is just after a good rain. The ground will be wet so it will have a darker color to it. The peckerheads stick out like a sore thumb. You can see the white stems very easily. For me its easier on the eyes.
The first tip up that can be fished on ice and land.

www.quickfishtipup.com

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Got out today and found a mixed bag with my daughter and my neighbor. A lot of them were starting to dry out. They still fried up just fine!

For tree identification I have a great suggestion, Trees of Ohio Field Guide by Stan Tekiela
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

Bryan

• View Profile
This may be a dumb question, but how do I know if I'm looking at a elm or an ash tree? I know a lot of trees, but these are two that I don't know how to identify.
Chances are if the tree is dead it's an ash tree. Damn emerald ash bug!
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Otter's island water taxi

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
We got off to a fast start at Buck Creek State Park this morning! Just about 10 steps into the woods and we spotted a nice yellow just off our path. This same dead elm yielded a half dozen more yellows and greys. My daughter found the second one and followed a radial path around the tree to find the others.

A few Scarlet Caps here and there and some May Apples about 10" high offered high hopes, but alas..... we left with only a half dozen. This looks to be a great new spot though! We'll check it again in a couple of weeks.

Come on rain!
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

Bryan

• View Profile
Well I think that (my previous post) was the dumbest answer anyone has ever given! I some how, even after reading it twice missed ratherbefishing's directions to look for 2 types of ALREADY dead trees! HAHAHA!!
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Otter's island water taxi

Vexilar