Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Had the Vex out and caught some crappies

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I was able to get out on the docks today and fired up the Vexilar and the screen lit up with some suspended crappies.

I was fishing 18 feet of water and they were coming in suspended around 12 feet. I was using a 3/16 gold vibe on 4lb McCoy fishing line and a Jason Mitchell perch combo.

I will get some video up later this week.

Get your gear out and hit your local docks!

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

g

• View Profile
used my vex & my 30" walleye rod from jason mitchel sat. at indian lake. fished dream bridge &used 1/4 oz. orange vibe. caught 1 keeper saugeye & 2 keeper crappies. had 1 throwback saugey. saw a couple dozen saugeyes & some nice crappies caught. water was muddy. saugeye fishing should pick up as the water cools. hope it cleans up quickly.

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
g Do you fish from a boat when you use the vex this time of year or some kind of dock?

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I fish off of the docks.

After October 15th or it could be the 31st you are allowed to fish off of the marina docks on Alum creek. I would call the park office to make sure. You can also fish off of CJ Brown docks. Again, check with the park office.

I do use it with my belly boat and sometimes the boat. The problem with the boat is if there is is wind than it is hard to keep the bait in the cone. The vexilar works great with belly boat!
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

g

• View Profile
i use it off both. at indian i was in a boat. my buddy turns his depthfinder to face the bow where he fishes so i use my vex in the back of the boat. helps me mark fish & shows depth changes. can't always keep my lure where it marks on my vex but it lets me know if fish are there & water depth.

Vexilar