Ice Fish Ohio Forum

How close is too close?

Guest · 11 · 6522

Team Mac

I was at indian yesterday and we setup on a tree to do some crappie fishing...We knew they were there we saw them on the camera...Big ones...We were there about 15 minutes and a kid his dad and his freind and another kid showed up...The first kid started to fish a hole within 2 feet of our shanty...The Dad didnt say "hey you shouldnt be there thats close" no, he told him that he should fish a hole within 1 foot of my shanty..I was furious there were 4 people within 5 feet of where we were setup, not to meantion all the noise from the kids carrying on...I understand that people want to catch fish but come on...Now for the good part I had finally had enough so we decided to take the high road and move. When we flipped the shanty down to move one of the kids was fishing a hole right behind me...so when i started to pull the shanty his line was caught under my shanty...Needless to say i ended up with an ice jig stuck in my brand new 400 dollar shanty...I didnt yell but told them all that it is wrong to setup like that and that they were not getting their jig back I would cut it out later...I love to ice fish and help people with anything they need help with...But sometimes it is to much...Please be respectfull of other fisherman and there space...So what do you guys and ladys think about how close is to close...

Good fishing

Scott and Andrew

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I welcome people to fish with me at any time, whether I'm catching fish or not. I'm not tight lipped about my luck or lack thereof, and I like many other guys on the staff LOVE the fellowship that goes along with icefishing!

That said....

You are absolutely right! There is a level of etiquitte that must be respected and practiced by all anglers in all situations. It sounds to me that the adult in question here may not have used his best judgement with the boys, and ultimately their actions are dictated by his guidance. The kids probably saw the immediate gratification of having a ready-made hole and wanted to fish right now. That is to be expected, but I would also expect the adult in charge to be the voice of reason and keep the situation under control.

Had they come out and spoken to you right off the bat, and set up there own site even 10-15 yards away it would be a non-issue I'm sure; especially with kids involved and one guy keeping an eye on them.

I'm glad that you brought this up because it's good food for thought, and as we have a lot of new ice anglers on the site it will be helpful for all of us to think about our manners on the ice.

It's great that this guy took the time to bring these kids out to fish though!

Sorry about your shelter...

RatherBe
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
The same thing happened to me yesterday at the Old State Park on the Portage Lakes. I went to check my tip ups and a guy with 2 kids started drilling holes 5 feet away from where my shanty was. I was ticked of but I didnt say anything because i could tell it was there first trip ice fishing and I didnt want ruin it by making a big deal. The fish werent biting so i just moved. After i was done and packed up I went over to them and told them that there is plenty of lake and you dont have to get that close. If they want to fish that close they should ask. I dont mind having people fish with me but just be respectful. I also seen that they were catching 0 fish so I told them what they biting on and where there at. I didnt want to be an a hole but the kids need to learn respect so that the ice isnt nothing but a holes in future years.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Team Mac

I like to fish with other people but there has to be common curtiously...If one of the adults would of at least made an effort to teach or even watch what the kids were doing( the kids were 12 and 17 )instead of doing the same thing I would of invited them to fish with us and helped the 2 boys with their fishing...I have spent 8 years coaching baseball and football to the local kids and loved it all...I see alot of kids these days that are not taught to have any respect for anyone or anything...

Good fishing

Scott and Andrew

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
It is frustrating to have someone come right on top of you like that.

Unfortunately, they just did not have the right guidance from the father.

I think we should all address the issue if it bothers us and not let it brew in us. I would have asked them to give me some more distance because with so many people in a little area that it spooks the fish. If you can give me some more space I will be more than happy to give you some tips on catching these fish but please just dont set up right on top of me.

If they do not move than its time to take the high rd and find a new spot.

David   

David
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

zruckman

• View Profile
i was on indian today and i had some what the same problem, there was a hole about two to three feet from my shanty if that and people thought it was kool to fish it when there is a whole lake right there
If you jig it they will come!

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Have you ever given the thought that maybe just maybe they fished that area the day or two before and the dad wanted to have his kid catch some fish. I  have 3 girls and I take them out at least 2-3 times a year each. The problem I run into is not the hole jumpimg but the foul language and the guys who piss in front of my kids. That is why we never go on weekends and we try to avoid the pack. We as in my 3 girls have had some real jerks come up and fish by us,I fished Oconners today (Sun) and some dumb ass shit in a bucket again this year and left it in the walking path for all of us to see. We all know humans must go to the bathroom but hae repect for yourself and others to dispose of your waste.

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
You are welcome to fish my holes any day..I rather that than drill holes and scare my fish away.

http://IceFishing is Fun...let's Keep it that way.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

let it freeze

• View Profile
Hell I don't even fish that close to my buddys.You should always ask that 's the right thing to do.We all are out to relax and enoy the thing we love to do.Always remember treat people the way you want to be treated and the good people will do the same the 1's that don't can go to hell.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
u think u guys have problems, i went fishing with dave holhisle today at alum he was so mad i was catching fish and he wasn't he stuck his jig in my hole i already had a pole in, now thats too close, he eventialy drilled two holes two feet away and fished the rest of the day, but he still got out fished!!!!!!
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

Vexilar