Ice Fish Ohio Forum

East harbor

Jakeesspoo

• View Profile
Fished east harbor today.  Only about 2" of ice had to spud a zigzag trail out.   I don't want to hear about it being unsafe or foolish.  Everyone can make their own decisions.  I'm 34 years old and there has never been a year I haven't been on the ice that I can remember.  Worst case scenario at east harbor you go through and your nipples get wet.   Anyhow we were obviously the first people out this year.   It's going to take upntonthe weekend before I would take my daughter out with me.   Water was very murky and could not find weed beds which is very unusual for east harbor.  Usually your trying to find a clearer spot to get your jig down.  Anyhow it's not looking to hot there this year caught two small bluegill between four of us in over 2 hours.    On another note we left there and went to a marina in Catawba and ended up keeping maybe 20 fish and throwing small ones back.   Marinas in Sandusky bay we could not get on yet.   Maybe a few more days. 

eye spy

• View Profile
What did you catch in the marina? Gills, crappie, perch? I fished 2 different marinas in west harbor yesterday and only caught one gill. Going again in the morning.

Jakeesspoo

• View Profile
Just bluegill.   We're using wax worms and tungsten jigs with Swarovski crystlals.    We call them bling bugs :)

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Try around the docks at Little Ted's Cottages.  Vegetation in there and we had good success in the summer.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Glad you got out.  After what I did last year, I never criticize anyone for getting on the ice too early!  ;D  I've been thru twice, it's no fun, but part of the game ice fishing.  If you don't fish alone and have proper safety gear things usually work out ok.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Sounds like a trip to me and some bad news on the fishing in there! I am going to get out this afternoon or tomorrow in that area hopefully! Thanks for the report
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

eye spy

• View Profile
Thanks for the reply. We used to do really well in marina del isle for perch but we have not caught a single one in the past 4-5 years. I might give old bay bridge a shot today.

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I don't know if they treat the marinas there or not but we used to slaughter perch on Lake St. Clair in the Marina's and now they are all useless ghost towns after being treated with weed killer. I see that Indian Lake is taking measures to kill off weeds too and hope it doesn't turn some of those hot spots into barren undersea lands.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

eye spy

• View Profile
I don't think they treat them but I could be wrong. I know guys still catch gills out of them. It is just weird that it went from being really good to nothing.

Jakeesspoo

• View Profile
I've never heard of them treating a marina around here,really not even sure of the legalities of it if there are any    It seems most marinas around here would be too large anyhow I would think.   You'd think the chemical old become too diluted too quickly but what do I know.  After last night and the temps tonight I would think you may be able to get out off the old bay bridge.  It just always seems pretty muddy there and the water levels are down.   I knows why your saying about the perch.   I'm 34 years old and when I was a kid that's all we used to icefish for was perch on Sandusky bay those are some of my earliest memories and the first time my dad ever even heard my little brother talk was out on the bay.   Even up till about 6 years ago we would get some perch around the coal docks but hardly anything the last few years.  Certainly I in my adult life have never caught perch like I remember my dad and grandpa catching when I was little.  Even in the summer up till I was 20 we never left the bay for perch, didn't have to.   Going out to the bell bouey was a long trip back then for perch now it's about the closest.   Back then I would have never imagined having to go over to Kelley's island to get on some perch but now it's the normal for us.   There's  always those stinky little bullhead to catch at whites landing.  Fun to catch they about jump out the hole on their own but I personally think they taste like sh**.   I'm sure there's a way you could fry them up and make em edible but there's also probably away to fry up my boot and make that edible.   There are some nice ponds by my house that we catch a mixture of pan fish in but there right on the railroad tracks near a train yard and the train workers said they would never eat anything out of those ponds after they heard of what the railroad used to dump or beak in there, and this was coming from a guy I personally know that would eat almost anything. 

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Guys,
Just curious. You guys are mentioning these marinas around PC. I am up PC way and know at our marina (private) people get thrown out by the residents and it is restricted to owners use or by residents guests along with several others I know of. just curious how everyone fishes these marinas????
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I have been kicked out of a couple. Doesn't happen often but there are a couple, the best ones of course!!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
I dont go in them unless i have clear permission. Guess if you walk from a public area into the marina then thry cant say jack. Just as a boat entering from lake as long as they dont tie up nothing can be done
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

Jakeesspoo

• View Profile
It's all about who you know :
Of course. You are friends with the owner i would think they would let you fish
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:50:12 PM by erierider »

Vexilar