Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Any safe ice at SBI.?

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 ???  Haven't seen a report on the ice conditions for over a month , Is there any safe ice around SBI ?

Bryan

• View Profile
Nope.
At this point I'm saying c'mon spring so I can launch my boat next month.
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Otter's island water taxi

Luvztaphish

• View Profile

fishingful

• View Profile
I am hoping for shitty ice around till April. So we don't have all the small boats out. Need to get a good spawn in.

Hope the ramps stay iced in.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Good spawn have to do with how many boats are out lol? Didn't seem to matter in 03 & past yrs!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

fishingful

• View Profile
I understand that. I would rather not harass them at all during the spawn. Closed season would be best in my opinion.

Luvztaphish

• View Profile
Spawning is determined by mainly ,water temperatures .so when would you stop and start the season . Also in a closed season you can catch and release which  harassed them.  Unless you stop all fishing .  I feel slot limits during the prime spawning months .

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I think the walleye season should close (like in several other states)during the spawning season,and a realistic slot limit be instituted to preserve our fisheries,if your bag limit is six fish I believe it should only include 1 fish of 28" or larger (walleye)so that everyone can enjoy,smaller eyes taste good to and selective harvest can preserve our waters for years to come!!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Bryan

• View Profile
I believe it should only include 1 fish of 28" or larger (walleye)so that everyone can enjoy,smaller eyes taste good to and selective harvest can preserve our waters for years to come!!
I have always heard that the older, larger fish are actually less productive than a smaller...say 22" fish.
I have also heard that a fish less than 20"  never has had the chance/maturity to spawn. Based on what I've always heard the old guys saying, better to harvest an old fish vs a smaller one.
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Otter's island water taxi

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Thats where the slot limit comes into play so the most reproductive sizes of walleye are released to carry on the species and some of the younger not reproductive fish are harvested,im not a biologist but that is how they do in some states where walleye fishing has remained fantastic as pressure increased,and as fas as "old"  fish hopefully by allowing one trophy 28" or larger that would hopefully give everyone a chance at a wall hanger,but these are just my thoughts
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Luvztaphish

• View Profile
 ;D. Lake Erie's walleye get larger younger ,
And the largest are usually the females loaded with eggs. The more eggs the more walleye.   ;D

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Not so much more eggs more walleye, similar to women where the old girls, things just don't work so well with age... correct me if I am wrong.

A slot limit may be a decent idea but your prime fish are 18-24in fish for spawning but whats the difference if you close the spawn you still catch the fish in the summer whats the difference??
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

eye spy

• View Profile
I just read an article where a study was done that showed the older females are just as fertile as the younger ones.

Luvztaphish

• View Profile
And they are larger and produce more eggs . Also would pass along their genetics .

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I just read an article where a study was done that showed the older females are just as fertile as the younger ones.

Kinda true:
While walleye are growing in (length) male and female are just as fertile as they ever were. Once growth stalls or decreases so does egg and sperm production. Keep in mind that that these study's are done in hatcheries and small lakes that they can easily recover the subject fish. The adv. max. growth in these environments is 24-27" that is the reason that states set the 28" rule.

That being said Lake Erie is a different ecosystem, walleye grow up to 30% faster than inland waters. So theoretically a 14lb Monster could be very fertile fish. I think that and the massive loss in revenue to the Lake Erie region, is why the state is reluctant to implement further regulations other than a possible limit reduction. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:43:15 PM by wballard77 »
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

Vexilar