Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Turkeyfoot Saturday 2/21

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Nimxkt Tom, Dustin Lancy & Bobberbucket Dave and I joined up to try our attack Turkeyfoot today. With snow coming down and trekking more challenging by the minute, I made it out and was fishing a few minutes before 6am., first one on the lake and it was a "Currier & Ives" scene with the snow coming down.

Nixmkt Tom came from across the lake, but unfortunately had an injury while trekking across the lake. He slipped & fell... left the ice and found out he broke his right wrist. ARGHHHHHH.

Those darn ATV's & Snowmobiles have made trekking across the lake more like walking across a wash board. He later said he'll need a double splint and a plate put in his wrist. His ice fishing season is kapoot.

We tried in the xmas trees, shallow area near the peninsula point and deep water areas off the swim beach. COULDN'T FIND 'EM. The only fish caught were a 2lb Channel Cat & an lonely 11" Crappie.

Polar Plunge was taking place at the beach. Hundreds of people along with ATV's & Snowmobiles. Loud Music changed the morning solitude, but I did hear Kelly Pariso announce they had raised 104K for the event. (Parking lot was completely full). Police, Fireman, ODNR staff everywhere.

Needless to say the atmosphere was very different in comparison to my quiet solo trek before daylight on the ice.

My new Nils 6" Hand Auger worked flawlessly with the 14" ice.

Yeah, the catch was poor but the fishing was photogenic. Very sad to have Tom injured... a wonderful ice fishing buddy. Hope his recovery is a quick.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Fishingoat

• View Profile
 Sorry to hear about the bad day and Tom.  Hope he has a speedy recovery. 

I wondered about the plunge and figured it would be a zoo.    Do you know where on the beach they punched the hole and if was marked after so no one steps in it later?  I would assume so but just wondered.  It would be good to know where it is and if it is flagged or something for safety reasons. 
Tight lines.
Born to fish.   No plan B.

fishingful

• View Profile
Pretty sure they leave the dock in until after ice out. I believe they but it in before it freezes

Vexilar