Ice Fish Ohio Forum

fishing for crappie

JW · 13 · 8960

JW

• View Profile
I wouldn't say crappie fishing was outstanding but it was fairly decent today was also quite windy on the ice today

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Forgive my asking, was anything coming off the cover? And what was getting them?

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
They were suspended hitting on pink gulp maggots and heavy metal jigs
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Really enjoyed being out today, got 7 with 1 keeper...hope the ice stays SAFE for awhile this yr...

IceLover

• View Profile
Sunday morning in the marina @ 7:30 till 2:00

Lots of IFO's there.  Met a few and talked a little.
To busy reeling them in. Helped a couple new guys to catch their first ice fish. Something tells me they are looking for a flasher today.
Caught fish on bottom and suspended.
Left with 14 keeper crappies and 4 gills.
Caught fish all day but had to weed thru about 40 gills and 30 crappie.
No tip ups were touched
Looking forward to this w/e

Salmonid

• View Profile
Ice lover, nice to meet you, I was the other guy helping the two new guys, I don't think there on this board ( yet) but they were most appreciative of your help!

Funny I sort of work with your partner Butch..Small world

We got a couple of keeper crappies and about a dozen shorties and a ton of gills, pink and white ice jigs with spikes and waxies accounted for most of our fish, all near bottom, we were not anywhere near any cover

Salmonid

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Salmonid, wasn`t trying to be unsocial but that ice was SLICK and didn`t move around a lot; I didn`t want to do any ice spills and attempt to `entertain` everyone...all 7 of mine came off the deep edge of cover, both "BB"s and the "C" trees.

Jonboat

• View Profile
Banker nice meeting you guys the other day sounded like might have a couple more hardwater fans! Thanks for the info on the mickey mouse boots never heard of em before but looked on ebay when I got home and couldnt believe how affordable they were so I got a pair on the way!

IceLover

• View Profile
Hey Salmonid
Great to meet you as well. Yea my partner is known far and wide and wanted in 3 states I know of. LOL

As far as ice spikes there is a place in Englewood that still has a couple pair
If your still interested...let me know

xtown icer

• View Profile
Has anyone tried fishing the small bay next to the marina? I know that it has deep water and they seem to always be in there when the waters not hard. what's the ice thickness in there.

fshman_165

• View Profile
The lake will need most of next week for it to get good and solid. My suggestion is to wait until next weekend. I will be testing lake ice middle of next week and post thickness. That area is known for shifty ice. a day ago the ice was really good there. it has a pressure crack with open water this morning and the crack runs the lenth of the bay.

Jonboat

• View Profile
Just got back from marina other than pretty good snow wasnt too bad... then out of no where started blowing like crazy! had to be 30 MPH.

Crappie were on fire, was there about an hour to 1 1/2 hrs. caught probably 6 nice fat crappies several real close to 9 ( didnt measure all C&R) hitting 8-10 Feet on 1/8 oz. jiggin rap.

Sucks had to leave but as heavy as it was snowing and wind blowing directly into hill figured I'd better get before I got stuck down there.

BEWARE around the dock ice varies from 1 in or so to maybe 2 1/2 - 3 in.!!!

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Go to page #2 and look for "GPS locations for CJ Brown fish attractors"; it has both the #15 series (outside the S Marina breakwater) #16 series Handicap platform area and #17 series (eroded cliff) as well as inside the Marina itself...

Vexilar