Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice lures so for

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
for my first year i think ive got a pretty good selection going, what else should i add to it? colors? sizes? i plan to pick up some blade baits and slender spoons to aswell
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
most of the jammin jigs have really bright and long lasting Glow paint
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

swedish nipple

• just like fishining out of a barrell
    • View Profile
I read before you were having trouble with panfish. I would suggest jamming jigs bobber fry or moon jigs in glow colors. Also Team ice stopper makes a wonderful glow moon jig that Ohio water panfish can not resist. Fish them on 2 lb suffix ice magic. The line is orange in color. It works great.  I would also suggest a spring bobber. The kind that inserts into the last eye of the pole.
Spencer Lake, Wellington, Willard, Chippewa, Oberlin

swedish nipple

• View Profile
Yes they do. Very friendly customer service as well.

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
I read before you were having trouble with panfish. I would suggest jamming jigs bobber fry or moon jigs in glow colors. Also Team ice stopper makes a wonderful glow moon jig that Ohio water panfish can not resist. Fish them on 2 lb suffix ice magic. The line is orange in color. It works great.  I would also suggest a spring bobber. The kind that inserts into the last eye of the pole.

ive seen the orange suffix ice line ill pick some up and ill take a look at some of the other jigs you mentioned thanks

swedish nipple

• View Profile
No problem. I primarily target panfish. the orange suffix works great. it doesn't matter if the water is stained or clear. And if your fishing outside of the shanty it makes it easy to see while its laying on the ice. And easy to see while your tying(beneficial for the more aged gentlemen in the crowd)  ;D

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Right now I've got Berkley Micro ice and Izor line both in four pound, and I do run a spring bobber on my medium light St. Croix premier

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
my friend I have been fishin along time and my ice collection is a lot smaller than yours,( your doin great) but you need a GOLD jig, ;D ;D   8)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
yup I have no Gold spoons or jigs, I will have to pick some up

steelneyes

• View Profile
You are well on your way...
Additions, micro plastics with 1/64 to 1/100 ball head jigs, just started playing with them this year but others will testify to their success for panfish.  I had some good experience on late season open water with them.

If panfish are the goal, the smallest and second smallest vibe or comparable blade baits (I like the old cicadas and they are relatively inexpensive) have produced good crappies and perch, or occassionally will draw them in close enough to pick up on a jig n waxie or maggot. 

Chain syle jigs which are a long slender jig with a chain and a hook below it.(Hali or others)   Just a few, you don't need 20 of them.  They tend to hold a minnow in place without messing with floats, or a minnow head, plastic, waxie etc.  They can be jigged as an attractor and I like to fish them on a rod soft enough that they load the tip when deadsticked so you can see the minnow swimming.  Any bite loads the rod and its almost like a  dropshot, reel up without setting the hook hard if that makes any sense. And the fish can't swim up and be undetected like they can on a float.

Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
I have a couple packs of Custom jigs and spins finesse plastics that I put on my CJS Chekai tungsten jigs

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I agree with everything said, and would add gill pills and some simple black ant flies. Can't beat those in the right conditions!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I did pretty well with the black chekai and gold Fiskas this year.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
One thing I forgot is some of the smallest jiggin raps from Rapala. They work amazingly well on crappies and even bull gills.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Gold or silver Swedish Pimple  ::)
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

Vexilar