Ice Fish Ohio Forum

crappies and eyes at C.J.

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
I've been hitting the dam and several brush piles the past couple of weeks both from boat and bank.  Most of the keeper crappies I've caught have been in 12'18' range.  Have caught a few big ones deeper but very few.  Most in less than 12' seem to be small.  Bobbers from shore have been best but working a second rod w/ jig n tube have taken it's share.  Play with colors it's been changing.  I like to start w/ white then go from there.  From a boat you really want to double anchor so your sitting directly over your brush pile.  Again bobber and minnow should be out but not the best method right now.  Nothing beats an icespoon and small minnow worked over the boat.  If anchored right you can use your ice-rods so your pre=tuned for the upcoming season.  Drop the spoon to the bottom and pick up an inch.  Jig this up a foot and let it drop back down for about five seconds.  Then twitch it up and inch or two and stop.  Wait at least 3 seconds and repeat.  Those with flashers this is the time to use them.  I'm already teasing fish up two feet of more before they take the bait.  The reason I'm using minnows and not waxies or other is because just as the sun sets the eyes move through many of the areas and I've managed at least one or more every evening out. 
And if your banking for eyes the dam still gives up some regularly.  Years ago it was elbow to elbow almost like the Maumee.  Now the numbers aren't there but the walleyes still feed there if your willing to work for them.   Jig/twister(minus tail) and bass minnow is the way to go.  Cast out and if your not in the rocks your not going to catch walleyes.  Start casting and move if you haven't caught fish in ten casts.  You'll hit a small school and they will move and so shoud you.  I've walked and fishes the wholle way down the bank and didn't hit fish untill the last 200' but it was worth it.  Some nights it's one fish and others have been twenty fish nights.  Some nights I've been out til midnight  and was worn out before the fish were.   For those who don't have a boat or time to launch it the dam is  your best bet through early December for catching eye at C.J.
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Great post. Makes me really wish I could make it out there.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Saugeyemarc, good to here from you again ! Am glad to hear you`re having success. We (the "Friends") were only able to "litter' another 8 spots, but with the materials the members donated and moved and assembled there are almost 300 more into CJ, hopefully increasing the possibilities. And rumor has it, there is an even BIGGER "conspiracy' a-foot for 2013 to pull off the "mother- of - all  placements", with the majority being VERY hard woods and PVC`s with apparently dozens of rubble and brick piles to boot. More later...

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
Not to change the subject but I would love to "litter" Alum creek.  With the water so low right now it would be a great time to do it or wait until good ice and do slide them out then.

CJ is a cool place that I wish I lived closer to so I could fish it more.  Does it usually take longer for it to have safe ice?  I know some fish the marina early but is the main lake safe normally?

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Last yr the main lake had 8+" of ice in most places. The only spot that can really be "dicey' is on the S side of the gravel bar  NNW of the Marina (#18 series of attractors); there is an apparent spring there and in places the ice can be MUCH thinner due to the warmer water welling up. There is a bouy cable tie off block embedded on the very end of the gravel bar and when fish that area I ALWAYS bring a rope and tie off to it. It CAN be a VERY good spot...

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The ice on the main lake was good around New Year's last winter. By the second week of February my daughter and I fished 20" of ice near the south piling unit nearest the ramp.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

lowellhturner

• View Profile
We were not allowed to place the attractors out on the ice out of concern that they would "drift' from where they were allowed to be as the ice broke up. We assembled them after Christmas and were required to await the thaw and open water to sink them to ensure accurate placement. And THANK YOU Salmonid for the chance to get out upon CJ 1 last time before it gets REALLY bad! 3 less "kitties' in the lake...

Vexilar