Ice Fish Ohio Forum

hand augers

sir fishalot

• View Profile
i have had for a few years a mora and just recently purchased a lazer 6in..i usaully, even with the mora don't have problem with 5in.of ice,but beyond 6 the mora was getting tiersome and haven't had the lazer long enough to know the difference.however, while fishing kiser last week,an old gettleman had a nils auger and allowed me to try it.i found it to be the easiest and fast hand auger i have used .has anyone else used a nils and what are your thoughts?

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Ive been wondering the same thing. Ive thought about buying the power auger because it comes with the handle to make it a hand auger also. I have read great reviews on them the only problem is to replace the blade is 50.00 plus shipping. That over double the price I pay for my mora blades. They may last alot longer though. Hopefully someone here has one and they will let us know.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I have used both on several occasions and I own the mora. Mine seems to cut more quickly and be a little more stable than the Nils, especially starting the hole.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

let it freeze

• View Profile
I have had all 3 I love the Niles.When u work the niles u have 2 use both hands.1going 1way and the other going the other way.once u figure out the niles u will love it.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I have a 5" mora and starting holes it walks around and cuts about a 6" hole it’s new with sharp blades. I tried a mora 7" that cut a little better than mine. But anything over 8" of ice it was a pain in the butt. My solution was to buy an Eskimo Mako 43cc 8" gas auger it cuts like butter. lol
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I guess that's one solution.... Maybe I'm just poorly coordinated!
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

bruce136

• View Profile
 Let it freeze,
 Will you be out at the event on the 8th; if so, can I try your nils?

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
Any idea where to find these Nils hand augers, everything is backordered.

sir fishalot

• View Profile
that is the problem,after using the one n kiser i was so impressed that i came home and tried to find on-line.i was able to find a site that had 3 left,but they were $150.quite a bit more than the lazer which is on sale in a cabelas catalog now for $69.

let it freeze

• View Profile
I'm still planning on being at the get togeter if I don't have to work.And I will let u try it out.

Vexilar