Ice Fish Ohio Forum

need help with ice shelter

buster · 25 · 12928

buster

• View Profile
Thinking about getting an ice shelter this year would like to get something with lots of space (my ice rods aren't normal short rods, rather they are 4'6" UL rods hence the need for space), anyone have any suggestions

Tight lines,
Ty

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Long rodding is starting to take off around here. The thought is by staying back from the hole you won't spook the fish as easily.  I would think a hub style pack shelter would be the best fit for that technique. They fold up very small and would fit into a small sled. A traditional flip over shanty I don't think would have the room for rods that long.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I have fished a 4 ft rod in my 3-4 man hub style shanty with just enough room length wise for it to be comfortable
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I agree a pop up shanty offers more room , less weight, the storage case on my pop up has shoulder straps like a back pack. sometimes I take it when im shore fishing to stay dry and cozy  hahah   ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

buster

• View Profile
Any brands or models that really stand out? Is there a need for insulated vs non-insulated here in Ohio

Tight lines,
Ty

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I like clam, but I don't think insulated is necessary here in Ohio. That said, I just bought a new insulated shanty. I like the insulated because there's no condensation on the fabric when you're inside fishing.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
insulated not needed and adds weight. Try to go as light as you can so you can pack up and move when the fish move and feel like your tied to one spot on the ice due to too much work required to move.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mines not a hub style. I got a one man flip over since I normally fish alone. I wanted to reduce weight so I went from a 2 man to a 1 man.  The insulated adds a little more weight but is still less weight than my old 2 man and doesn't retain the moisture so your shanty is less likely to mildew.  The shanty I got wouldn't work very well for your long rodding technique. Check out clam.com.  They'll have a nice selection of hubs you can look at. Frabill and Eskimo also have them in their lineups as well.  This year I even saw one that looked pretty nice for under $100 that would work well for you at either Gander Mountain or Dick's, I can't remember which store it was but I think it was Gander. I'll be back there soon and can keep you posted.  Like Banker said, mobility is key that's why I went to a one man flip over, I like the flip over because it's a sled. Just flip the top back down and you can move to a new spot in seconds, no shanty to take down.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 04:27:02 PM by slabslayer »

Team Wilcraft!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
They are at Gander but I was wrong about the price. They're $180 non insulated and $280 for insulated. They're a 6'x6' shelter. They had one set up and I looked it over and it seems pretty nice. Not sure what you can get in that price range for a clam.

Team Wilcraft!

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I agree you want to stay light and as mobile as possible! A cumbersome shelter load only holds you back when it comes to getting in fish, also if it is alot of work to put up or tear down you may find yourself questioning if you want to move or not because of the hassels involved in moving your setup!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I totally agree with all the above comments, suggestions & insights.  Eventho I have a Clam  Nanook, 2-person/flip-over.  Satisfied with it,  but I feel the Eskimo & Otter Brands are better built.

Flip-Ups are for mobility and Pop-Up for the more 'stationary-type" ice fisherman.

For your needs, go with Pop-Up vs a Flip-Over.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 05:34:01 AM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

buster

• View Profile
I am willing to get a few ice rods(28" or 30") if you all feel that going with a flip over is a better way to go, any and all suggestions on rods and flip over would be greatly appreciated

Tight lines,
Ty

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I personally like shorter rods In a flip 24 being the longest I would go St Croix and Sportsmens Direct make  17-18 inch rod that works perfect for one man flip shelters
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I like the flip because of portability. Also their bases are sleds so your gear can fit right inside one. With the new style flips, you can setup and be on the move again in about 30 seconds and flip ups are less prone to wind problems. The wind can wreck havoc on a pop up sometimes, and anchoring it takes time.

For the rods I'm partial to Jason Mitchell.  My rods vary in length from 17"-28", I like different lengths for different actions and presentations. I think they (Mitchell's) give the most bang for your buck. But as Banker said St. Croix is good also, just a tad more expensive. Either way you can't go wrong!

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar