Ice Fish Ohio Forum

PLX 2/3/15

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Here's the scoop.  I fished an undisclosed part of PLX this morning with fantastic results. I won't post specific locations but will explain my technique. Gills, crappie, and big bass. I was fishing out a tad deeper than I have been so far this year. The fish were deep and were on the bottom. Everything came on a VMC 1/100th ounce jig tipped with 2 maggots, 1 red and 1 white. I would pound the bottom with a crappie size spoon and when I'd see fish come in on my Vex I'd drop that VMC down and they'd suck it right in. That thing flutters down so nice!  Hook size was #12. Got all them, even the big bass on those jigs on 2 pound line. Did a lot of searching, and only 1 hole produced all my fish!  The biggest bass was 5.14 pounds on my Rapala scale and is biggest bass I've got in over 2 years and biggest thru the ice ever!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 06:19:14 AM by slabslayer »
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
nice job slab,glad you had a great day,i wont get out till friday,i have binoculars you cant hide. :D
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I know. And my truck isn't the most subtle and inconspicuous vehicle on the road!  ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
good job slab, im headed to pLx tomm to try a hunch, hope I can catch dinner anyway right ?
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
SS: You can post here where you got those beauties. I wont tell anyone.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Fisnfool

• View Profile
Very nice mixed catch.
When fish are in schools, they sometimes take debate.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I got them from the lakes chain. I'll give the hint in that is not one of the isolated lakes, it's connected by the one of the canals or pipes.  ;D

BTW I released all the fish that day.

Team Wilcraft!

nixmkt

• View Profile
I got them from the lakes chain. I'll give the hint in that is not one of the isolated lakes, it's connected by the one of the canals or pipes.  ;D

Well part of that doesn't make sense.  Aren't the isolated lakes in the chain the only ones connected by pipes, other than Hower to North?  ???

Fishingoat

• View Profile
Hey Slab, nice work. 
Born to fish.   No plan B.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There's a couple that aren't, for example Nimi. But I was on a main part of the plx. Not an obscure channel or back water.

Team Wilcraft!

nixmkt

• View Profile
There's a couple that aren't, for example Nimi. But I was on a main part of the plx. Not an obscure channel or back water.

No, Nimi is not part of the Portage Lakes.  Being coy about location is fine, but you're going about it the wrong way.

Fishingoat

• View Profile
I think it's kinda fun.   Is it have a lot of water around?   Does the lake have an e in it?   Just kidding.  Has anyone been out today?  How's the ice and snow?  Went toesina today and its deteriating fast.  It's thick but garbage ice and not too safe. 
Born to fish.   No plan B.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I was told Nimi, Summit, and Springfield were considered part of PLX.  If I'm wrong about that I'd sure love to know.  Don't want to spread misinformation.  I was on the main part of PLX though, on the edge of a drop, fishing in 8 feet, but 14 feet not too far away.  Also cover was on the drop.  If you know of or can find a spot like that, anywhere, not just PLX, you'll be on fish.  And I'm not the only one fishing there, there are other holes there too, just not that many.  ;D  Same situation as the underwater pile of concrete pipes on a different lake in the PLX chain.  A couple other holes and lots of fish!  ;D

As to the ice, the 4" of watery slush sucks.  Was fighting it today really bad.  Hoping the warmup and rain will help us out, with low of 12 again monday night and a good 7-9" of hard ice under the slush, a rain and deep freeze could really sock the ice in for a while!  One can hope!!  ;D

Team Wilcraft!

nixmkt

• View Profile
I was told Nimi, Summit, and Springfield were considered part of PLX.  If I'm wrong about that I'd sure love to know.  Don't want to spread misinformation. 

You were led astray then.  They are not even part of the same watershed!  Summit and Springfield flow to the Cuyahoga River while Nimi flows to the Tusc. River  They are connected through the structures between the Tusc. River and the Ohio & Erie Canal at Manchester Road though, which has led to some interesting discussions concerning the divide.

The ones that are part of the Portage Lakes are shown on the ODNR map of the Portage Lakes, although Cottage Grove Lake is named on street maps but only shown as part of East Res. on the ODNR map.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Awesome. Thanks for telling me that. Now I know the full details. I appreciate that.

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar