Ice Fish Ohio Forum

4 Members at CJ for Crappie

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Triton, Scott Mac and Andrew and myself, fished the Marina at CJ this morning with the hope of a repeat of Tuesday's performance.

The Crappie showed up again, only this time the bite wasn't as furious as before. Still catching fish in about 13'-15' of water. The same tactics applied, but they were much more responsive to deadsticking today!

Triton took home 10' nice Crappie and 1 Gill. Scott and Andrew were on the same quality fish that we were catching. Those fishing around our spot seemed to be getting a lot more Gills which were a little smaller than the fish we were targeting. Still saw some nice fish here and there though!

The local guys who fish it all the time were kind enough to show us to a couple of the larger brush piles. We (Andrew and I) drilled until we located the edges and proceeded to catch a few of the smallest Bass ever seen!
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

Salmonid

• View Profile
Good report, I almost made the drive up there but hung around my pond this afternoon, now I wish I would of went up there....Sounds like a good time.  I was supposed to get mailed a xmas tree map for donating some stuff but never got it..go figure....

Salmonid

1catdaddy1

• View Profile
 I was there-sitting out from the gas dock-got to fish a bit but had to go to work. I caught about 25-30 crappie only 3 gills(1 keeper) and had about a dozen legal crappie.I found last year that bigger plastic baits were producing better quality fish and almost as many-same thing now-I've been using some of the larger plastics made for ice and doing really well while they are aggressive.Good to hear You had a good time.The fishing is really good at cj right now compared to the past couple of years-I believe thanks to a lot of new structure introduced in the marina.

triton189

• View Profile
ratherbefishing, it was great to meet up with this morning! I had a great time and the crappie fishing started out fast and furious. Thanks for letting me take the fish home as my kids love crappie.

I cleaned them and checked their bellies to see what they were eating. Some of the 10-10.5 inchers had "large" shad in their. The limit fish had some tipe of small worm.

Thanks Again!

Salmonid, if the need the maps of the Christmas trees and the GPS coordinates I can give you a copy. However, the ice was not thick enough to get out were these were droped.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Those bass had a hell of a hatch this year!!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

wtrwlker

• View Profile
Heading to the CJ Brown marina first thing Sunday morning.  Anyone else heading out?

triton189

• View Profile
I am going to pass on tomorrow as it will be packed. I will be out on Monday.

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
where exactly is cjbrown at and how far from sidney
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

Salmonid

• View Profile
CJ is about 15 minutes North of Springfield Ohio. Im guessing about 45 minutes from Sidney???
anyways Ill be there around 1 pm tomorrow probably hanging around the marina, In a clam 2000

Salmonid

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Glad you guys are getting a good bite this year. It is a fun spot to fish and very safe since you can catch them from the docks.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Salmonid : How has the shanty worked out for you? I forgot to take the homemade Banker sign out of the side of it. Hope you were able to catch some fish.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Vexilar