Ice Fish Ohio Forum

blue gills

Poll

are you catching decent gills from nimi this year?

yes
0 (0%)
no
3 (37.5%)
a few
2 (25%)
alot
2 (25%)
mostly dinks
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
not doing well on the gills this year
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I've gotten a few. Seems like I have to sort thru 30 dinks for 1 good keeper. Last year was different, there were still a lot of dinks, but I had more good fish to go with them. Maybe 2 in 10 were keepers last year and on some days the ratio was higher. This year it seems Nimi is overrun with pencil perch. I'm not even bothering with Nimi now unless it's dawn, dusk, or at night. Those are the only times I can get nice fish there this year. I also am seeing a lot more guys out there this year than last.  Maybe that's making the fish more tight lipped.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
your right the little ones are really hungry,  but I have noticed the crappy and gills seem plumper, oh yeah perch.... :D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

holehopper

• View Profile
if the pencil perch would grow into 9 or 10 inch keepers,i could put up with it for a couple years,but the question is will they,or will they be stunted and just become a plague to us? it happened at springfield lake and to the crappies as well,only had one good gill day and that was during a sleet storm,i'm with you on the dawn and dusk routine,however i don't see many dawns  :D snowcone are those catfish your holding?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:50:36 PM by holehopper »
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

crappiehunter

• View Profile
yeah I agree with everyone. it seems like last year you couldn't keep the big gills off the hook lol but this year no matter where I go its dink city with the gills and perch and the decent crappie are at night and considering I work midnights......no night fishing for me

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
hole hopper those are steelies im holding   ;D 
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Nope, I havent had any luck hitting a nice school of gills this ice season. I think the big bulls got hit so hard the last couple of ice seasons, the premier bull breeder population collapsed and that's why the numbers are down so much this winter season.  It may be the reason they are so many small perch being caught this season too.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

holehopper

• View Profile
sounds like a reasonable theory ice bucket,,,,,,,,,,,,,snowcone i know those are steelhead,i was just kidding you :-\

Vexilar