Ice Fish Ohio Forum

vexilar fl-8se

buster · 12 · 5716

buster

• View Profile
hi guys I've never had a flasher before wasn't really sure how they worked and after seeing Dave's and a quick lesson on Saturday at the tournament I'm looking at getting a vexilar fl-8se, is this a good choice
thanks,
Ty

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes, it's an awesome unit to learn from. You'll love it!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

buster

• View Profile
Thanks slab, you say it's a good one to learn on does this mean it is an entry level flasher I'll out grow? Is there something else I should look into?

Saw guy

• View Profile
I bought a vex fl-28 last year, and I like it up on Erie walleye fishing. It is a split screen with a large display. That being said, I have a Marcum vx1 pro, which like the vex fl8 se, is the base model. I love it fishing shallower water and the dock tourneys. I have had friends with the vex fl8 unit, and they have success with it also. Can't go wrong with either

buster

• View Profile

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I do seminars on ice electronics. PM me your number Ty and I'll call you. It's easier to explain over the phone.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Minnowhead

• View Profile
The fl-8 doesn't split. I think the fl-18 is the model # that starts to allow you to split the water column and zoom on the bottom 6 feet. Really attractive to me now that I've been using my Vex for several years.
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That's right, and the split screen is worth every penny. In my opinion. The zoom is great for deeper water crappie fishing.

Team Wilcraft!

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
The fl8 is just fine for our waters in central ohio.

The more expensive units give you a split screen and additional features. In split zoom the right side is normal view covering the whole water column and the left side is zoomed in so it is easier to see fish coming off the bottom and has a smaller target separation than the fl8. It also has digital depth ready and a flat screen for easier viewing.

The 28 has more features as far as color selection, shallow water feature, and additional features that you pay extra.

Start with the 8 and they hold their value and move up when your ready. If money is not an object than go with the 28.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

g

• View Profile
I've had the fl18 for 10 years or more and love the bottom zoom. I seldom turn it off . Whichever  unit you buy, it wIll be well worth it. I use mine all year and it helps catching crappies even in a boat.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I use mine all year and it helps catching crappies even in a boat.

Just used my new 28 for an hour this morning in the jon boat. Got a few nice crappie, but the wind was brutal!   I wasn't dressed for wind and didn't last long, but that unit is awesome!   I'm going to need time to learn the new features, but I'll get it down before ice hits. I'm going to put my 18 and 28 side by side so I can get used to reading the 5 color display of the 28 compared to the 3 color of my 18.  I think a live side by side on the water comparison will cut down on the learning curve.

Team Wilcraft!

Fishin 2

• View Profile
Noise interference ?? Let us know if there's any noise interference between the 2 units being close, anxious to hear about the 5 colors too, Mike
Take a Kid Fishing, You'll need the help Carrying Fish  !!

Vexilar