Ice Fish Ohio Forum

VEXILAR FLX-28 first day on water

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Put my FLX-28 on the water for the first time today.  Wind was brutal and I didn't last long enough to really learn or try anything.  But I really like the unit.  I never got out of 4 color mode, wanted to try the 5 color, but just too unpleasant.  The zoom features are awesome!  The seperation and clarity of the screen at 15 feet was amazing compared to my FL-18.  In the shallows, less than 5 feet, I think the FL-18 preforms a little better.  But I'll know more when I do a side by side comparison on a better day.  I want to see how they read next to each other; is there any interference, how do they preform at different depths, in the weeds, lure pick-up at different depths, etc.  I'll put the FLX-28 thru its paces and let everyone know how it stacks up next to the FL-18.  Meanwhile here's a couple screenshots from today.  The crappie at 6 feet didn't have a chance!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
Congrats on the new unit. Would like to get a new unit in the near future. Still love my fl 18 though. Keep us posted on your comparison results.

buster

• View Profile
Very cool, was the 28 everything you expected, looking forward to checking it out, unfortunately I won't be able to come to Alum this Saturday, but am planning on being there on the 15th

Tight lines,
Ty

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I think it's going to be. The target separation is awesome!   I think it might actually be possible to tell if a fish sucks your waxie or spike off the ice jig. I'm not 100% sure on that one, but guessing by the size return echo I got on a 1/32oz jig with low gain in 11 feet of water I think it might be fairly easy to see your jig change size when a fish sucks the bait off. But after playing around with it for 20 minutes on a windy, bouncy jon boat I was impressed. And I think I'll be even more impressed the more I learn the unit. I never got out of auto mode to try shallow or weed mode. I also never got to try the 5 color display, which I think will be a great feature with tiny ice jigs and flies. I'll update this thread as I learn more and continue field testing.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Saw guy

• View Profile
Got mine at the end of last season. Awesome on Erie. The separation is incredible. Good luck with it! Enjoy!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
hey slab im thinkin smoke detector  because your hut will glow and hum with all that space gear... ;D   
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yep, wait till you see it this winter!   ;D  My shanty will be complete with auxiliary charging port and aerated baitwell too. New one man shanty with rod locker that will hold 12 ice combos. I can't wait for the ice!  Clam rocks!   

Team Wilcraft!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
that's just totally cool,
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar