Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Weather

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I tried to get out on Wingfoot with Jon Sr (MrPhish42/Ice Phiser) this morning (for my very first time at Wingfoot), but the high winds of 50+ mph as we met at the parking lot thwarted us from doing

We decided to hit Mogadore near the boathouse at St Rt 43 where it's "wind-protected" from the Westerly & Northern Winds).  The rains & hail didnt stop us, but we were very happy to be wearing ice cleats., (Dont think anyone could walk on the ice without them).

We punched nearly 20 holes. The ice is layered and not nearly as strong as last week's ice conditions.

Shoreline ice is good too.

DON'T DO STUPID. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:32:20 PM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
All I have to say fellas is be careful, I've been through and so has many other icefisherman and it aint a good feeling. Almost lost a good friend this weekend, big dummy went icefishing in southern Ohio , never check the ice and went through in 15' of water, he said all he thought about the whole time was that he was going to die falling through the ice. If it wasn't for a few quick thinkers they'd be looking for a body right now. He's walking this earth with a little more respect for life right now. I think he saw his maker and this definitely gave him a wake up call. To see a grown man in tears 3 days after it happened is a somber feeling. All he talked about was not seeing his kids and losing his life going through the ice.It aint no joke , and he never laughed when he told the story, he did hit the panic button and screamed for his life, he did say he gave up trying and was at peace losing his life until some guys showed up with a log chain and pulled him out.

mikeL

• View Profile
yeah, not usto this short fishing season at all  yet. i do love the ice fishing on erie though.
Pro staff

Hillbilly

• View Profile
hey wapak, what lake was this, or at least how far south?
Close calls can be a real eye opener, in anything we do in this life, glad your buddy was ok, hope he recovers fully, and not just the cold and wet part...

HB 8)

Vexilar