Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Pike N Pickerel

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Kinda bored with fishing for stocked trout, looking for more species, pike and pickerel have been a newer interest to me lately, anyone have tips and advice for getting them on a rod? not super into tip ups unless I'm fishing for table fish lol, not sure were to to after these. I'm located in medina and can go maybe 45 minutes at the farthest
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Today's pickerel was an accident! ;D  Got him jigging for panfish. But I know some guys who fish Leesville, Alum, and other known pike and musky lakes thru the ice by jigging the large vibes. Some put a shiner on a quick set rig. I know they're a blast thru the ice. Sippo Lake by me here in Canton has pike and pickerel in it too.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
That time range kinda limits your success, I know mosquitoes res. Has a self sustaining pike population including one I just read about that was 53 inches,as far as pickerel I dont hear much about them in our area im from around wadsworth, also sandusky bay in spring for pike,ive also heard the tailwaters of atwood dam has pike in early spring
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

jmsteele187

• View Profile
If you're trying to ice some pike on a jigging rod, try using rattle baits like the ones you'd use for bass.  Clackin' raps, rippin' raps, and rattlin' raps are all good ones to try.

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Alright cool! I keep a bunch of rattling lipless crank baits in my ice bucket, I'll try em
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

Vexilar