Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Problematic Panfishing :(

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
 I've fished 6 lakes this year and I've gotten one bluegill total which was in a tiny private pond that's filled with them , what am I doing wrong? Bluegill and crappie are delicious but I can't seem to catch any through the ice, I've tried deep, shallow, weed beds, submerged wood structure, Multiple teardrops and other jigs, is there certain colors I should be dropping that are known bluegill killers? and what parts of the body of water  should I look for to set up on?
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
And I appologize ahead of time for asking so much lately, it's my first year ice fishing and know a lot of you guys are well expirianced
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
What size line are you using?  It sounds like you're doing things right. I can offer some suggestions but would be easier to talk. I'll pm you my number and you can give me a call tomorrow. It would be easier than back and forth questions.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
4lb , alright thanks that would be cool, I'll see if I got time after school to drop you a call

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Two pound test on a teeter totter light weight with a maggot
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ok, cool. Pm sent.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Sounds like you need to "buddy up"with other icers to learn their techniques.

There are times when ya just cant find the fish.  I fished with a pal on Nimisila last Weds and both of us got skunked... not a single bite nor a fish... And I had my Vexilar with me..  We fished shallow, deep, weeds and shelves and couldnt located them in that part of the lake.  We drilled over 35 holes attempting to find the buggers, but to no avail.

In other words, sometimes it's not you... IT'S THE FISH.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:09:13 AM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
IT IS!!  Had days like that too.  It seems like he's on the right track.

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar